where is itunes art work stored?

Reaction score
Where is the art work for itunes stored? Within the music folder itself or somewhere else? Thinking about re-installing a fresh itunes program as I may reformat my macbook. I downloaded and pasted a lot of the artwork myself on to a huge CD (all AIFF files) collection so I don’t want to loose it when I delete itunes program. Would it be better to back up existing itunes program on to external hard drive and put back on to macbook after reformatting?

Reaction score
As far as I know, the artwork is embedded into the music files so it will be visible in other applications.

If you need to extract the art files, for whatever reason, Google shows a number of possibly useful results, but I wouldn't presume to judge which is best since I never needed to use any of them.

Good luck,

Z

PS: As for your backup questions: It is ALWAYS a good idea to back up your data so that you can reload it easily after a reformat. But I think you're really wondering about your iTunes profile vs the program. When you reinstall OSX, the program will automatically be reinstalled. But you can "connect" an old profile to a new program if you want. If there aren't any problems with your profile or performance, then this is what I would do for sure. To connect to a profile: iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > iTunes Media folder location > Change

OP
F
Reaction score
You answered my question nicely, Thank you. I was really not looking forward to finding all the artwork manually again. I will look into profiles too, it sounds like that might be the way to do it.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And as a reminder for the future.... please do not double post or cross post to more than one forum. Your cross post was removed. Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I read this thread this morning and wondered why my copy of iTunes had a folder called Album Artwork if the artwork was embedded in the song files? The answer is that iTunes does both depending upon which version of iTunes is being used. iTunes and artwork | Macworld

There are one or two other interesting tidbits there as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
my copy of iTunes had a folder called Album Artwork
Yes, but the last time I looked all the files had names consisting of letters and numbers that bore no relation to the album that each file belonged to. Not a l;ot of help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes, but the last time I looked all the files had names consisting of letters and numbers that bore no relation to the album that each file belonged to. Not a l;ot of help.

I noticed the same thing with my folder. I have not had time to see if I can find a reference for what that means.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.