• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

idvd settinga

R

rdorsett215

Are there any special settings for burning an avi file in iDVD5? i was albe to burn an avi file (350mb) using iDVD5, but when i put it in the dvd player the title screen a made in iDVD came up but when i clicked play the movie just was a black screen. any thoughts?

OP
D

damontgo

I think DVD players only play certain codecs, and if your video file was only 350Mb it was either very very short, or compressed somehow. I know DivX and Xvid are common codecs for AVI files, which i don't think DVD players can read... do you get sound or no?

I would try to compress in MPEG-2 and then burn a new disc. I think that's the standard for most DVDs.

Can anyone else help? I'm not exactly sure how encoding works with DVD players.

OP
R

rdorsett215

thanks...i'll give it a shot. this whole process of burning an AVI to a dvd to be played in a standerd player has been a huge headache. i'm about ready to give up and just buy one of those divx players

OP
A

Applesaucevideo

rdorsett215 said:
Are there any special settings for burning an avi file in iDVD5? i was albe to burn an avi file (350mb) using iDVD5, but when i put it in the dvd player the title screen a made in iDVD came up but when i clicked play the movie just was a black screen. any thoughts?

How exactly did you get an avi file? Was it imported from a windows machine? You should probably convert the file with Quicktime Pro to an m2v file then import it into iDVD 5. However, that is a very short clip, probably not worth wasting a 4.7gb DVD-R disc? Hope this helps.

OP
S

SPOW05

I just came across the same issue last night. I tried to add a few .avi files to IDVD, burned the disc, but when I inserted it into my dvd player only the menu screen appeared. When I would click the chapter to play, the screen would just be black. So, by compressing as an MPEG-2, and then re-burning the disc, it should play correctly?

OP
R

rdorsett215

i figured out how to use divx doctor 2 and toast 6 to burn the avi file onto a dvd and it plays....not too hard....the file was about 380mb, ,,,,however i just tried to do that with a 700mb file and toast said it was too big. not sure why since the dvd is 4.7 gigs. gotta figure out a way to compress it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.