Old Mac Mini hELP

Reaction score
Hi,

Had a clean up of my attic earlier today and found a Mac Mini EMC NO: 2108. I'd forgotten all about it, I connected it up and it worked fine, and then tried to format it and reinstall MAC OS X just for a bit of a clean up. I tried to reinstall using what I thought was the correct Tiger installation discs - and it wasn't! Now I'm left with a perfectly good Mac and no operating system. Is there any discs I can purchase to get this Mac up and running?

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Depends if is a Core Duo model or core2Dup model

You can buy retail copies of Snow Leopard that will install on one of those, anywhere online or from Apple (about $29)

C

chas_m

If this Mac mini was in your attic, I'm guessing it's a PowerPC model and won't run any of the latest operating systems. The last OS for PPC based Macs was Leopard, which was quite some time ago now: retail discs for it (the only kind you can be sure will actually work) are quite expensive and hard to find.

If you don't need the machine do to anything particularly modern (like Flash or video or 3D gaming, taxing stuff like that), you can probably find a copy of Tiger (10.4) retail disks more cheaply and update to 10.4.11. You'll still be well behind the times, but basically functional.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
He gave us an EMC number which when looked up says Intel Mini. Core Duo or C2D. Both go to that number.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.