Just got a mac :P Pointers?

Reaction score
Its official haha I just got a mac a few quick questions,
How to right click? And anyway to do it like a windows pc without actually pressing down?
Any free good killer antivirus software that deletes viruses?
Do I need to use bootcamp? Do you?
And a goob media player and something like bittorent?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Why would you want antivirus - you've just got a mac?
Bootcamp? Are you planning on using windows?
Right Click without pressing down? Uh?

C

chas_m

Its official haha I just got a mac a few quick questions,
How to right click? And anyway to do it like a windows pc without actually pressing down?
Any free good killer antivirus software that deletes viruses?
Do I need to use bootcamp? Do you?
And a goob media player and something like bittorent?

To right-click, um ... you right-click. If that doesn't do it, go to the mouse (or trackpad, I suspect that's what you're talking about, pity you didn't actually say) preferences in System Preferences and set that up.

On a trackpad, you can set two finger taps to be a right-click.

Viruses. That's ADORABLE. Thanks for the good chuckle!

No, you don't -- at least not until after you've learned the Mac. Then decide.

I don't know about "goob" players, but iTunes is a perfectly fine media player (you'll be using it anyway, so luckily it's pretty good). A lot of us keep VLC around for files that QuickTime doesn't natively understand, and install Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian (both free) to save ourselves a lot of effort.

Bittorrent is generally used to pirate things (BT defenders, GIVE ME A BREAK. You know it, I know it. Stop kidding yourselves) and we don't discuss that here, because Mac programs are awesome and deserve your money, and there's iTunes for buying music and video. I think you'll find it's actually more convenient and, you know, the person who worked hard to make that stuff you enjoy actually gets paid. So they can make more of it. I like how that works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Mid 2012
Bittorrent is generally used to pirate things (BT defenders, GIVE ME A BREAK. You know it, I know it. Stop kidding yourselves) and we don't discuss that here, because Mac programs are awesome and deserve your money, and there's iTunes for buying music and video. I think you'll find it's actually more convenient and, you know, the person who worked hard to make that stuff you enjoy actually gets paid. So they can make more of it. I like how that works.

Thats not always the case. Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, got in a fight with his old record label cause the wanted to re-release his first album for an obnoxiously high price, and not give him any of the proceeds. To prevent the record company from making money off him without paying him, Trent Reznor himself put his whole album catalog up on torrents.

C

chas_m

This is precisely why I used the term "generally" in my original post. But PUH-LEASE. If someone did a study of the ratio of legal to illegal torrents, what do you honestly think the ratio would be. If your answer is anything less than 10,000 to 1 you are simply kidding yourself or naive. I'd be quite astounded if there was any documented source that could show even one percent of torrents are linked to non-copyrighted material.

I do not have a problem with P2P technology used for legal purposes, and have seen several examples of such (software distribution, free-use video and audio, public domain stuff etc). But let's not pretend that's the norm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Mid 2012
This is precisely why I used the term "generally" in my original post. But PUH-LEASE. If someone did a study of the ratio of legal to illegal torrents, what do you honestly think the ratio would be. If your answer is anything less than 10,000 to 1 you are simply kidding yourself or naive. I'd be quite astounded if there was any documented source that could show even one percent of torrents are linked to non-copyrighted material.

I do not have a problem with P2P technology used for legal purposes, and have seen several examples of such (software distribution, free-use video and audio, public domain stuff etc). But let's not pretend that's the norm.

Yeah, wasn't trying to insinuate any different. Just was trying to say that there are valid uses for torrents.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes valid reasons, but as Chas said..very few indeed..I use it primarily for Linux ISO downloads, it's quite amazing how quickly I can download the 600MB file..but apart from that, not much else seems to be legal on there..

C

chas_m

Here's an example of a legal, non-Linux torrent:

Download Bergensbanen in HD

It was a very rare opportunity to use torrents for me so I got a client and used it. The video is utterly delightful for train fans but I recommend watching in half-hour segments or so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.