Suspicious message from Yahoo! Mail

jwc

Reaction score
A message from Yahoo! Mail keeps popping up asking for my password, but I don't need to because I can get into Yahoo! Mail just fine; so I hit "cancel" and a little while later it pops up again.

Can anyone tell me what it is and how I can get rid of it?

C

chas_m

You have likely visited a hacked or suspicious site earlier and are seeing the results of that -- a pop-up ad that is trying to steal your Yahoo password. Clear the cache from your browser, quit the browser, restart your machine.

OP
J

jwc

Reaction score
Thanks Chas_m but it didn't work

I cleared my cache, reset Safari but it wouldn't let me quit Safari; so I manually turned off the computer, turned it back on again and the message appeared right away.

Any suggestions?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you checking Yahoo Mail in a browser like Safari or a Mail client like Mail?

Reaction score
I was just reading a thread on the Ubuntu forums about Yahoo. Not sure if it is related, but some 450K users information was downloaded from the VOIP database. This happened a few days ago though.

OP
J

jwc

Reaction score
wirepuller: I heard about that too, I don't know if I was part of that; however, when I realized the message was bogus, I have change my password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.