MacBook Pro ... Refuses to turn on !!

Reaction score
Crisis ...

My MacBook Pro has been working perfectly all day but now refuses to turn on ... I think it was in sleep mode.

I have it attached to mains ... Cable light orange ... And there is a green light on at the very top of the screen ... But it simply won't turn on and it's a very recent machine..

This is all very depressing

Any ideas please??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't tell from your post, but you may have run your battery down to where the machine shut off (which is normal). If the MagSafe Adapter charger shows orange, it's charging your MBP. Wait a while for the battery to charge and attempt to turn on the machine while still attached to the charger. Let us know.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks ... Yes, I waited and now it's working again. But I know it hadmnotncharged all the way down as when I did turn it on and checked (after about 15 minutes) it was on 60%.
I am now a little weary of it ... But fingers crossed.
Thanks again

C

chas_m

You could also have experienced what I call the "heat coma" effect. This happens to people who put their MacBooks in a knapsack or other enclosed space either a) without checking that it ACTUALLY went to sleep first or b) manage to "awaken" the notebook while it's still in the enclosed space. It eventually overheats and goes into an unwakeable state.

The solution for it is to just leave it alone for a while and let it thoroughly cool off. Then it will work normally.

It should go without saying that you really want to avoid having this happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Mid 2012
How do you check to make sure it really went to sleep after you close it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The light in front of the machine will pulse when it's sleeping. Or, just put it to sleep first and then close the lid. Personally, I would not carry a sleeping MBP in a book bag or carry bag. If it wakes while in there, it can overheat causing a problem later on. We have had lots of reports of exactly that happening. Shut it off completely first.

Of course for students going from class to class, putting it to sleep and carrying it in a back pack for the short time to get from one building to another should be OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Mid 2012
The light in front of the machine will pulse when it's sleeping. Or, just put it to sleep first and then close the lid. Personally, I would not carry a sleeping MBP in a book bag or carry bag. If it wakes while in there, it can overheat causing a problem later on. We have had lots of reports of exactly that happening. Shut it off completely first.

Of course for students going from class to class, putting it to sleep and carrying it in a back pack for the short time to get from one building to another should be OK.

Thank you!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.