Noob Time Machine Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro OSx 10.9, 2.3Ghz Intel i7 Quad Core, 8GB RAM(4x4), 750GB Hard drive
Okay i just bought a LaCie Porsche Design P9230 2TB External hard drive.

1.Will Time Machine work with this hard drive?

2.When it backs up your hard drive, does it overwrite the previous back up, or make a new back up?

3.What all does it back up? (i.e. Documents, Apps, OS)

4.(Similar to question 2) If I have a 750GB Hard drive, and I've filled about 300GB of it. The first time it backs up will it fill 300GB of the Hard drive, and then the second back up fill up 600GB (300 for the first and 300 for the second.)

Thanks, I know they were easy and probably obvious questions to answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Okay i just bought a LaCie Porsche Design P9230 2TB External hard drive.

1.Will Time Machine work with this hard drive?

Time machine will work with any external as long as it is formatted Mac os extended journal

2.When it backs up your hard drive, does it overwrite the previous back up, or make a new back up?

First backup is full backup. Then it backs up changes. Every hour day week You can restore older backups of files

3.What all does it back up? (i.e. Documents, Apps, OS)

Backs up all unless you exclude something

4.(Similar to question 2) If I have a 750GB Hard drive, and I've filled about 300GB of it. The first time it backs up will it fill 300GB of the Hard drive, and then the second back up fill up 600GB (300 for the first and 300 for the second.)

Answered in 2

Thanks, I know they were easy and probably obvious questions to answer.

Read answers above

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just one clarification about what Time machine backs up. It will backup OS files but you cannot boot directly from the backup without either:

1. Booting from some other disk/device first such as a boot DVD or Lion recovery partition and then restoring files from the Time Machine backup.

2. Installing OS X on the drive that you will be using as your Time Machine backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.