Time Machine - Storage

Reaction score
Hi, where does Time Machine store it's files. Am i right in saying there is a copy on the local disk and then a back up on the designated external drive.

I understand that when i plug my external drive in, Time Machine copies files to it BUT

01 - does Time Machine have some sort of other copy / back up of my files on my local machine too... for instance, if i do not have my external drive plugged in and i want to re-call a deleted file from last week, i can do this through Time Machine... so where is it getting the file from, as it cannot locate it from my external drive...

02 - how do the backups differ between what is copied to my external drive and what TM accesses on my local disk when retrieving a previous file... are both backups the exact same and are the files transferred to my external drive just an update of the local backup copy...

03 - if the system keeps a backup of all of the files on the local disk... how does it not eat up my hard drive...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain any of the above as i am completely confused :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Normally Time Machine stores its files on the external drive. Under Lion if Time Machine cannot find your chosen external drive it will store its backup files on your main (boot) drive until you reconnect the external drive.Earlier versions of Time Machine did not behave this way and it can be turned off. If Time Machine is backing up to your local (internal) drive and the space is needed some of the backup may be deleted.

I think these two articles will answer most of your questions:

OS X Lion: About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs
OS X Lion: Time Machine overview

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
01 & 02
-- Open time machine then you'll see pink and white lines. PINKS are from External, WHITES are from Internal (local snapshots). Both will backup at the same time so when you remove your External you still have the whites available. When external is connected again, time machine will back-up by copying the whites into your external. This time Pinks and Whites are available again. Whites will be only up to one week and it'll be deleted (as I recall, not sure). Hope this did not confuse you.

-- Yes it will eat up a little bit but very negligible. If your internal HD is running out of space it'll will delete by itself. Mine, I disable it. Local snapshots can be disabled using Terminal command. if you're interested I can give you the command.

OP
O
Reaction score
01 & 02
-- Open time machine then you'll see pink and white lines. PINKS are from External, WHITES are from Internal (local snapshots). Both will backup at the same time so when you remove your External you still have the whites available. When external is connected again, time machine will back-up by copying the whites into your external. This time Pinks and Whites are available again. Whites will be only up to one week and it'll be deleted (as I recall, not sure). Hope this did not confuse you.

-- Yes it will eat up a little bit but very negligible. If your internal HD is running out of space it'll will delete by itself. Mine, I disable it. Local snapshots can be disabled using Terminal command. if you're interested I can give you the command.

Hi, thanks for your reply... if it is disabled locally... I presume that the external drive will need to be plugged in in order to retrieve a previous files... can you give me the command please ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This should get you going in the right direction. It covers restoration and a few other basic. Thought posted it earlier sorry Mac 101: Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.