battery life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I'll be getting a macbook air soon and was wondering if I should always run on battery. Will keeping it plugged in constantly hurt the battery?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'll be getting a macbook air soon and was wondering if I should always run on battery. Will keeping it plugged in constantly hurt the battery?

No & no (as long as periodic maintenance is done).

- Nick

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I'm not sure either. I heard it somewhere years and years ago. I had an old dell PC that was always plugged in and its battery got worse and worse the older it got. But that battery was Ni-MH i believe. So maybe with the new batteries it doesn't make a difference. Not sure.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not sure either. I heard it somewhere years and years ago. I had an old dell PC that was always plugged in and its battery got worse and worse the older it got. But that battery was Ni-MH i believe. So maybe with the new batteries it doesn't make a difference. Not sure.

Yes...battery technology has changed. All Mac's now have Lithium ion batteries...which are way different than the old nickel-cadmium or nickel-metal hydride.

Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Different Types of Laptop Batteries - For Dummies

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.