Fusion and Parallels on same Mac?

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 and Fusion3.1 installed on my MBP and iMac. Rather than upgrading to 4 I chose to purchase and install Parallels. But when I open it, I cant seem to get past the first step of how to put Windows 7 on. (which is already installed) Do I have to uninstall fusion before opening Parallels? Can I leave both on the Mac in case I wan to upgrade and use my Fusion?

Thanks Roxanne

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may have to create another Windows 7 virtual machine for Parallels although I understand there is a way for Parallels to import the VM from Fusion.

And yes, you can run both Parallels and Fusion on the same machine although I would not recommend doing so as it will use unnecessary drive space and memory.

I probably would have just upgraded Fusion to version 4 as that is cheaper and easier than purchasing Parallels and going through the install process with Windows 7 again.

OP
H
Reaction score
I bought parallels 7 using my student discount because it was the fusion site was down and it was cheaper than $49.99 for a new fusion 4. I don't think I am elegible for an upgrade as I have had it for a couple of years. If I totally uninstall fusion and then open parallels will that work? But, I really don't want to have twice the memory usage when I only need 1 VM. If I buy the fusion 4, should I uninstall parallels first, since it isn't working anyway? Or if I keep my parallels, should I uninstall fusion 3 to lessen the memory usage?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You created the VM with Windows 7 in VMWare Fusion, Parallels doesn't know anything about it yet (it's a different software). However, you are in luck, you can open the VMWare Fusion VM in Parallels and it will convert it to a Parallels VM and should load it and run.

From a Forum post
1. Make sure that the VMWare image file is not split into 2 GB files (check setting under VMWare)
2. Select Open in Parallels (after step 1 is complete) and open the VMWare machine. A virtual machine conversion will start automatically.

Check out: Converting VMWare Fusion Virtual Machine to Parallels - Parallels Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.