Need help deciding 2012 macbook pro or air

Reaction score
Heres my delima :p I need a new laptop ( Im only going to use it for 3 years ) I really like the new macbook air due to lightness, ssd , screen, and new power adaptor idk it just seems like the future of computers but The only thing I was worried about is that I cant switch from 4 gigs of ram to 8 gigs which seems likely that ill need it in the near future and that 128 gigs just wont cut and the it wont beable to play diablo 3 as smoothly as a macbook pro ( Remember Im only going to have this laptop for 3 years) And my 5 year old pc laptop is getting filled up with crap I dont need

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
macbook air you can order 8gb upfront, flash drive upgrade is doable if only OWC comes up with the new drive. You would be paying a lot for the flash drive upgrade to apple.
as for mbp you can upgrade the ram and drive relatively cheaper. It is your call.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
If you are talking about the New Macbook Pro 15" or any Macbook Air (except the very original ones) - there is nothing upgradeable. The Nand Flash and the RAM are all soldered onto the machine.

Older MBPs are upgradeable as well as the 13" MBP current.

If you are playing any 3D games you are better off with a discrete card of the MBPs - the Airs are fast but their 3D isn't as good. That being said - if you are willing to back off of graphics then an Air would be fine.

For anything 2012 - Air or 15" MBP - you'll need to get exactly what you want from Apple as there is no upgrade later.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not true Ivan. The 2012 Non Retina MacBook Pro 13" and 15" models are upgradeable. You can check the Apple site to see their instructions for replacing and adding memory to those models: LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
If you are talking about the New Macbook Pro 15" or any Macbook Air (except the very original ones) - there is nothing upgradeable. The Nand Flash and the RAM are all soldered onto the machine.

This is not 100% correct. Although you cannot currently get a third party upgrade for the SSD in the MBA, the module is NOT soldered into the machine and is removable (see: MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Teardown - iFixit at step 8). For the 2008 - 2011 models you can get third party drives. On OWC's MacSales website they claim that upgrades are "coming soon" for the 2012.

Reaction score
I thought I might respond to your question, as I recently struggled through this very difficult decision. This was my first Mac purchase ( I had wanted one since I was a kid, just never had the $).

My choice, due to budget constraints, was between either the base 13" MBP or the base 13" MBA. I was not in a position to order from apple, so the 4GB ram upgrade for the air was not a possibility. After messing around with both machines for a good amount of time, I ended up getting the MBP. Let me give you my reasons:

-Upgradable: RAM (up to 16GB) and HD. These were huge incentives for me. While 4GB of RAM today is sufficient, 3 years from now I feel like I would be in trouble. For me, the MBP was a lot more future proof

- HD space. The 128 GB hard drive just seemed way to small for what I wanted to do. I felt like everything I installed had to be checked for HD space. I just didnt want to worry about iMovie projects, mail, photos, itunes files, etc.. taking up too much space. Like I said, this was my first mac and I wanted to be able to do just about everything on it

-Battery life: The standby time on the Air is really nice, but I just dont feel like the actual usage battery life is as good. (I know CNET says otherwise, just my experience)

-Screen: I plan to run an external monitor at home so the 1280x800 res didnt bother me. Besides, I felt like the MBP screen was beautiful color wise. The MBA screen seemed a little washed out, or florescent. The glare on my MBP doesn't bother me since I prefer to work on my computer indoors.

--Speed: while the SSD in the Air allows it the nearly match the MBP in current benchmarks, I have the ability to upgrade to an SSD at a future point. With this upgrade, the MBP will fly.

-Cost: I received a student discount. The discount for the MBP was greater than the MBA. With the Air, I needed a superdrive and external HD right away. That added an additional $180 to my purchase plus the $100 difference in student discount at BB left a price difference of $280 for me. This was a major incentive.

-Durability: the MBP just seemed more durable, especially the screen.

Anyways, these were my main points for getting the MBP. The Air is a great computer, but IMO is meant to play a supportive role to a desktop machine. If had had an iMac or a 15" MBP I would have certainly gone with the air. The weight of the air is incredible and that 1.5 lbs is very noticeable, but in the end, that difference wasnt large enough to overcome all the advantages of the MBP for me. Anyways, hope this helps. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Sorry - I said the 13" was still update-able. The 15" non-retina I was mistaken.

I was also mistaken about the Air - SSD - but that being said it is $747 for 480GB at OWC - whereas the 512 upgrade is $500 from Apple - so I'm not sure how that is cost effective.

Reaction score
macbook air you can order 8gb upfront, flash drive upgrade is doable if only OWC comes up with the new drive. You would be paying a lot for the flash drive upgrade to apple.
as for mbp you can upgrade the ram and drive relatively cheaper. It is your call.

+1. I just (Monday) helped a friend upgrade his mid 2009 MBP to 8GB + 256GB SSD for less than $250. Plenty of tutorials available everywhere, but this will give you a rough estimate of the additional price...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
+1. I just (Monday) helped a friend upgrade his mid 2009 MBP to 8GB + 256GB SSD for less than $250. Plenty of tutorials available everywhere, but this will give you a rough estimate of the additional price...
what make is the ssd ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.