Bootcamp wired/wireless keyboard not responding

Reaction score
I tried to install Bootcamp 3.0.4 to my iMac Late 2010 model running Mac OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and during the installation of Windows XP Home Edition the keyboard wasn't working and I looked online and found that wireless keyboards don't work during the installation due to the drivers not being installed, so I went out and bought a wired HP keyboard and reformatted my whole computer in case there was something stopping it and I updated everything to the latest version, and then went through the installation again and it still wouldn't recognize the wired keyboard even though it can recognize the keyboard when I select an operating system when holding "Option" at startup and also when Mac is running.

I did also notice when it was starting to install windows it had down the bottom to press F3 or something to install drivers although I can't press it due to both my wireless and wired keyboard not recognizing.

I looked everywhere online and every single person answering the question about their keyboard not recognizing they just said to use a wired one but for me that doesn't work. And I also read through the whole of the installation guide but that says the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If I remember correctly Windows XP isn't supported on that version. I think it was the Snow Leopard update to 10.6.6 that removed support for XP and added the driver download into the bootcamp assistant.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your help mrplow, I have a copy of vista from my other computer so I may just use that

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That probably is likewise not going to work. I believe you need Windows 7 but you can give it a try provided Vista is not an OEM pre-installed version. Remember, the only versions of Windows that can be installed have to be MS boxed full install or OEM System Builder's full install.

OP
C
Reaction score
At the beginning of the installation when you open Bootcamp it says that you can use Windows XP, Vista, and 7. So they should work shouldnt they? and both my discs of windows are the full version so that can't be the problem :/

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Information has been updated with regard to which version you can use. A late 2010 iMac can only run Windows 7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.