Buying a MacBook [ for a programmer ]

Reaction score
I am planning to buy a new laptop, mostly I will use it for programming and stuff connected with studying computer science. My current target is MacBook Pro. I know that I will have to write code in C# occasionally so I will have to install Windows or run it on virtual machine, but I don't plan to develop in .NET in the future.
What other languages I will need :
- python ( in a big extent )
- java
- c/c++
- javascript
Is there someone who already develops apps using languages mentioned above?
I know that java is fully portable, there is also no problem with C and C++ ( except that I wouldn't be able to code in visual C++ studio ). With javascript there also will be no problems. However I wonder if Mac is a good choice when we take script languages like let's say python, ruby under consideration. Sometimes u want to use/install various versions of python and install various additional libraries or use external frameworks ( like Django, Pylons, Plone ). Also u want to use tools like virtualenv and etc. Will Mac handle it all?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I develop in Python and I've encountered only one issue: Apple ships Python as a 32 and 64bit binary and enables the 64bit version if that works with your machine. This can cause a problem with some modules - wx doesn't like 64bit Python for instance. This is easily changed however - either simply set the 32bit version to be the default or download a 32bit Python build from their website.

Although OS X comes with Ruby, Perl and Python, you'll end up updating them manually if you want to keep up to date. Apple is a few bugfix releases behind. Also of note is Apple's version choice: they ship with Python 2, not version 3. I like that since the modules I need only work in v2 (like wx) but if you need v3, it's a simple download away.

Also of note: Mono works with OS X. As long as you're not using something like WinForms or any other Windows specific framework, it may work for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.