Strange problem with trackball

Reaction score
I just bought a Kensington Orbit Trackball, with scroll ring, and connected it, downloaded the software, and the device works flawlessly - a great pointing device, with only one strange problem.

With external speakers connected, there is a high pitched interference through the speakers that is altered by trackball movement. I removed the ball, and used my finger in the orifice, to create varying pitch and spectrum noises ranging from whistling sound to low pitched sawtooth tone.

I use the speakers all the time, and would like to use the trackball all the time too - anyone any idea of a) what is happening, and b) how to stop it.

Reaction score
I just bought a Kensington Orbit Trackball, with scroll ring, and connected it, downloaded the software, and the device works flawlessly - a great pointing device, with only one strange problem.

With external speakers connected, there is a high pitched interference through the speakers that is altered by trackball movement. I removed the ball, and used my finger in the orifice, to create varying pitch and spectrum noises ranging from whistling sound to low pitched sawtooth tone.

I use the speakers all the time, and would like to use the trackball all the time too - anyone any idea of a) what is happening, and b) how to stop it.

Clearly you're suffering from electrical interference. Unusual for a USB powered device to cause it, but if the impedance is great enough then it will. First of all, make sure that your trackball cable and speaker cables are as far apart as possible. You say you have a G5 powermac. Try running the speakers from the rear audio jack and the trackball from the front USB port. Also check that the wire shielding on your speakers isn't damaged - loose cables in the speakers or broken insulation can cause all kinds of sound issues.

Have a go... let us know what goes on.

OP
M
Reaction score
Tried that, and got an improvement, but the trackball, specifically designed for a mac, still interferes - the logitech PC one I was using does not whistle, but does make a neutral hissing sound through the same speakers. It too is an optical mouse. An older non optical mouse does not make any noise, so I believe the interference is in or from optical pointer devices.

Reaction score
Same problem on a PC

Tried that, and got an improvement, but the trackball, specifically designed for a mac, still interferes - the logitech PC one I was using does not whistle, but does make a neutral hissing sound through the same speakers. It too is an optical mouse. An older non optical mouse does not make any noise, so I believe the interference is in or from optical pointer devices.

I'm having the same annoyance on my PC laptop and just like you I'm able to alter the sound pitch with my finger after removing the ball. Makes me wanna record something on this new instrument Kensington was kind enough to provide for free. Joking aside, I wish I could make it go away without lowering the speaker volume and increasing the master volume on the computer. The sound goes away when the trackball is connected directly to the laptop instead of to the USB hub on my desk, but having the same behavior on both a PC and a Mac points to the trackball. Are your speakers USB powered too? (mine are)

OP
M
Reaction score
I gave up on it, and bought a kensington wired trackball - it doesn't make noticeable sound. I use the offending trackball on my other G5, with powered speakers, and it does not sing. My main G5 does have UBS speakers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.