Hmmmm

Reaction score
Well, after a long time procrastinating, I went out and bought new imacs for my wife and I.

They came with the wireless rodents and keyboards, and there seem to be two problems...

both keyboards are intermittant (they keep coming "unattached")

and they interfere with each other (computers are in same room, 10 feet apart).

I REALLY want to like these machines so I hope I can solve these problems.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

OP
O
Reaction score
OK, so I went out and got all new batteries, changed 'em all out, and now it seems to be fine. No interference or signal dropping.

If that was the fix, then "That Was Easy".

I would still be open to any suggestions on the matter though. I am usually not that lucky with technology.

Cheers

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Only problem I have ever had with Wireless Keyboard and/or TrackPad was when the batteries were low.
So, that may well be the fix.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also when completing the pairing process be sure to use the option that generates a passcode that you must enter from the keyboard during pairing. This should reduce the likelihood that they interfere with each other.

If the problem persists the only thing I can think of is using a wired keyboard and mouse for one of the iMacs or using a keyboard that uses a different wireless technology. Logitech for example makes some keyboards that are RF based rather than Bluetooth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
oldflyer2 I have the same problem purchased a new iMac two weeks ago and battery on mouse down to 70% which is getting close to failing. When it does will replace with Energizer Lithium batteries which give much longer life than alkaline and/or rechargeable.

Keyboards seem to consume battery level of 25% of the Magic Mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
oldflyer2 I have the same problem purchased a new iMac two weeks ago and battery on mouse down to 70% which is getting close to failing. When it does will replace with Energizer Lithium batteries which give much longer life than alkaline and/or rechargeable.

Keyboards seem to consume battery level of 25% of the Magic Mouse.

Ahh Harry. See you have let your Mac Pro go on the wayside :) Congrats on the new iMac. Will be hoping they bring out a retina iMac if the October rumours are anything to go by.

Cheers

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It looks like part of the problem was that the rodents and keyboards got mixed up in the Apple Store when we bought them. All the parts were out on a table and it looks like the wrong stuff got in the wrong boxes!

All sorted now, and everything seems to be working flawlessly. Now that the minor glitches are done, I get get on with learning how to use this machine.

Cheers, and THANKS AGAIN for the quick replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Thanks for the replies. It looks like part of the problem was that the rodents and keyboards got mixed up in the Apple Store when we bought them. All the parts were out on a table and it looks like the wrong stuff got in the wrong boxes!

All sorted now, and everything seems to be working flawlessly. Now that the minor glitches are done, I get get on with learning how to use this machine.

Cheers, and THANKS AGAIN for the quick replies.

Hi...and if you click on the bluetoothy looking symbol on the top right of the menu bar next to the wireless network icon it will give you a drop down list of your connected peripherals. If you hover over the device description it will give you the battery level.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks Pendlewitch ... you read my mind!!!! I was just wondering if there was an easy way to do this.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Thanks Pendlewitch ... you read my mind!!!! I was just wondering if there was an easy way to do this.

Cheers

Lol! :) No problem. The icon should also start blinking when your batteries are getting low and the OS will also bring up a display to prompt you when they get to critical levels.

p.s. You've just got to get the Magic Trackpad

OP
O
Reaction score
I had a choice of thr track pad or mouse. I have never bee fond of the trackpad and still can't use the one on my laptop. I'm just a rodent kinda guy I guess.

Cheers

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I had a choice of thr track pad or mouse. I have never bee fond of the trackpad and still can't use the one on my laptop. I'm just a rodent kinda guy I guess.

Cheers

That's why they make both . . . though I would NEVER trade my Trackpad for a mouse. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I must be getting old.... my Magic Trackpad lasted two days before I returned it for a refund. You either love the things or hate em. :p

OP
O
Reaction score
I just had a go at using my Wacom as as a finger thingy, and that lasted only a few minutes 'fore I put it back in the box.

I do like this tiny wee keyboard though, and I am am getting used to the mouse.

A question about the cordless mouse .... How can I force the setup to give me a number to verify to match to my computer? It still wants to wander sometimes and take over my wife's machine as well.

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. I got a bit of an idea of how much stronger this machine is over my old 'Doze one. Adobe Elements 6 used to take the best part of a minute to get going ... now it yakes about 5 seconds. I was impressed.

C

chas_m

I'm sure chscag made the right choice for him, but I have run across a few things over the years that take a bit more than two days to get used to sometimes.

For example, the change to "natural" (ie iOS-style) scrolling. That really did my head in when I first tried it, hated it, switched it back immediately. After a big project was done and the pressure was off, I gave it another try and whaddya know -- 20 minutes maybe and my brain flipped the right switch and it really WAS natural.

The new iMovie (back in 07 -- man has it really been that long?) took CONSIDERABLY longer to wrap my head around -- I was pretty skilled with iMovie 6 HD -- but over the course of a few projects I came to understand how it's really an improvement in most areas (particularly after the 09 version came out).

I hear Final Cut Pro X is going through the same disruption cycle, but recent updates and third-party additions have brought many back to the table. I notice that people who never used the old FCP tend to *love* the new one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm sure chscag made the right choice for him, but I have run across a few things over the years that take a bit more than two days to get used to sometimes.

Like I said above chas, I must be getting old. :) I ran out of patience with it, but I do agree that it does take longer to get used to things. Although some things are harder to get used to. (I'd better quit now before Mike gets after me.) ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.