what is the average life span for my macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook mid 2007 c2d 2.16 4gb ddr2 250 gb hdd osx lion
does my macbok still have a lot of life left or is it over its normal life span

Untitled.jpg

Reaction score
I find lifespan to the result of a formula that begins with what you need. If your needs remain relatively modest -- email, web, watching movies, and some light productivity -- the system probably has many years of life left in it (especially if you can make due with the software you have now).

On the other hand, if your needs evolve to include activities that require more power than you have available, then the computer will have outlived its usefulness. That could happen tomorrow, or in ten years.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have a 2007 MBP that still handles fairly well all I give it to do. For my needs it could probably last a few more years, but that doesn't mean I don't want a shiny new one. ;D

Reaction score
My rule of thumb when advising my clients is if they can get the latest OS to run with out slowing it to a crawl, it's good for at least 2 more years. This is, of course, moderated by the needs of the user. High end use results in the need for faster turn-around, whereas lower end use gets much longer life out of their macs. But for average, I have had good success with the "latest OS +2" rule.

Reaction score
^ I don't know if I agree entirely with that formula... Is the latest version really so important? I have a G5 running Panther. It's been in active service for almost ten years, in large part because I haven't been bogging it down with the latest power-hungry software that's not really necessary for what I need it to do.

Seems to me the OP could have that MBP for a very long time if his needs don't change.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Seems to me the OP could have that MBP for a very long time if his needs don't change.

Thats really the main consideration. As long as you don't need to change or upgrade software there's generally no need to upgrade hardware.

C

chas_m

I almost feel sorry for people who own a Mac for 10 years and their needs have never changed (or perhaps I should say "expanded"). Part of what I use a Mac for is to broaden my horizons and find out about other stuff I may have an interest in. I want my Mac to be able to handle what I throw at it in this regard for a few years, but I understand the "aging" process of a computer.

On average I would say most of the Macs I've owned have lasted me around four years. Some went longer, some went shorter (mostly because of an opportunity to trade up rather than any obsolescence). I just passed on my 2007 BlackBook (stuck at Lion and with a poor graphics chipset but otherwise great) to my wife, so technically it will be good for another year or two (longer if I really wanted, but the wife will eventually want something lighter).

Reaction score
To throw my optinion in, it's pretty much the same as the others here. I have a G4 powerbook that's still alive and used for mainly surfing and spotify. I thought about retiring it, but it works... so why not keep it.

My main work machine is a Macbook like yours only older (2006 2GHz C2D w/ bigger HDD and 3GB RAM). I am only now considering getting a new machine as it's getting a bit slow and isn't going to be Mountain Lion compatible. However I won't be getting rid of that Macbook. I'll put a smallish SSD in it to boot the speed up a little and a clean install of Lion it will be a perfectly fine machine for web, email, light photoshop use for as long as it lasts for.

We do get the best deal in the long run... Macs cost more money, but the components are high quality parts and on average live longer than the PC counterparts.

Keep that old laptop alive.

Yes, you can buy a PC laptop for £250, but you wouldn't want to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.