Building a home server for my Apple family...

Reaction score
Hello all :)

I'm moving house in about 5 weeks and would like to get the most out of my Apple addiction, but don't know where to start relating to a server... Below is what I'll be using, and what I want to use it for:

27" 2012 iMac (browsing internet, playing Football Manager)

iPhone 4S (using as a, err.. Phone? Music for gym)

13" 2012 Macbook Air (On order, due next week. Running Citrix for work emails/apps & general internet browsing)

New iPad (Not yet ordered, last on list - Running Citrix for work emails/apps & general tomfoolery / Angry Birds)

AppleTV (Netflix / YouTube on TV...)

And what I'm looking at using a server for:
-Local and remote network storage - I'm wanting it to be the primary storage for iMac & Air, so in effect no files are stored on the device itself, and both will be able to access the shared files regardless of location..
-Capability for AppleTV to stream files from it. Will be burning my DVD collection to it, and I'd like AppleTV to be able to play these...
-Connected to printer, for local and remote printing. Pretty self explanitory...
-Single user ID/single iTunes account? Probably not possible, but it drives me crackers that I have to have separate iTunes' on my current laptop & iMac, and can only update playlists on my iPhone through one of them, and will most likely be the the same on the iPad...

Much appreciated if anyone can tell me my requirements are pie in the sky, or if they are possible, and how to roll out such a server.. :)

Cheers,

Ash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Agreed. The setup described is pretty much my setup

What you need is something like a Buffalo Link Station NAS:
iTunes library compatible
access from any network connected device
secure access online (if required)
USB Print server

No NEED to have different Apple IDs on different devices.

We (a family of 5) have a variety of device (iMac, MacBooks, iPads, iPods, iPhones).
All use my primary ID for purchasing - so we can share purchases.
Each person has their own Apple ID for iCloud syncing/backup. This way everyone gets their own 5gb iCloud storage. But you could all just use 1 ID

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks guy's,

Just to pick your brains, how would, for example a Buffalo NAS differ from an Airport Extreme with a HDD attached to it...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The Extreme with an external hard disk (which would obscure the USB for your printer incidentally)
would provide a 'similar' function. Though the Extreme is a router too (guess it depends if you want to replace your existing router). Plus if your going Extreme + disk you may as well get a time capsule.

Also, from experience, I'd say performance of a USB connected disk vs a directly networked disk is less reliable/robust. This is only anecdotal and my own experience of various setups.

One thing a NAS gives you is router independence. In the main I've always favoured separate devices on the network so that, as things move on, you can update individual components.

Also, depending on the NAS you can get expandable storage and the price will be lower than an extreme + disk.

The buffalo NAS drive also feature DLNA server which means devices like Windows PCs, PS3s, XBOXs and other DLNA standard devices can access the content with near zero config.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.