Is it just me? with osX

B

ByHisGrace

Is it just me or does everyone have trouble with osX? i'm a newbie so forgive my ignorance. But i can't seem to be able to find anything to use with osX. everytime i try to DL limewire or various other programs i need version 10.2 or 10.4 its kinda frustrating. is my only option to upgrade? what do you guys suggest? :eek:neye:My version is 10.0.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Your version of OS X is almost 5 years old now. You are correct in stating that you are going to have a difficult time finding apps for that version. Your best bet would be to upgrade to at least 10.2.8. You can search the auction sites (eBay, Yahoo!, etc) for a retail version of 10.2 and that would get you in a better spot for finding more apps.
You can also take a look at www.versiontracker.com or www.macupdate.com for some freeware or shareware apps.

OP
L

lil

I wouldn't say everyone has problems as the amount using 10.0.x is very very few these days, most 10.0.x users upgraded to 10.1.

10.0 wasn't known as the 'public beta 2' for no reason sadly :( You will need at least Jaguar as pointed out, and depending on your system, I'd recommend Panther.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I agree with Vicky.

Get at least Panther (10.3), as it is the first really mature version of OS X, in my opinion.

Reaction score
I still run Panther, didn't like Tiger.. My fans kept coming on using Tiger on my PB.. They never come on using Panther.

OP
J

jn4jenny

jram said:
I still run Panther, didn't like Tiger.. My fans kept coming on using Tiger on my PB.. They never come on using Panther.

Amen. I happen to be on Tiger now, but I think fo 90% of Apple users, Panther was sufficient.

For the original poster: Think how much trouble you'd have running a PC with Windows 98. That's approximately the situation you're in using OS X 10.0.4. There have been four major OS updates since March 2001, which is when 10.0 debuted.

The good news is that unlike with Windows, upgrading your OS on an Apple is pretty cheap. Tiger's going to run you about $100, but OS X 10.3 Panther is available online for as little as $30-$40. Find it and buy it, and you won't have problems anymore.

Reaction score
jn4jenny said:
The good news is that unlike with Windows, upgrading your OS on an Apple is pretty cheap. Tiger's going to run you about $100, but OS X 10.3 Panther is available online for as little as $30-$40. Find it and buy it, and you won't have problems anymore.

I fail to see how OS X is less expensive that Windows XP.

If you bought OS X when it first came out in March 01, and then purchased every update when they came out, you would have spent over $400. However, if you purchased Windows XP when it first came out in October 01, then just downloaded the free service packs as they came out, you would have spend a grand total of $100 to have the most up-to-date version of Windows for 5 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
Put it this way. Your version of OSX is equivalent to using Windows Millenium Edition today.

Bottom Line: Time to upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
i just switched to mac, im using panther, no problems yet, id love to have tiger and use the widgets and stuff, but panther seems to run perfect for me. no problems here, i know 10.2 is old as anything, so i can see your problems there. you can get panther for like $39 on most websites

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
Erudite.Warrior said:
Put it this way. Your version of OSX is equivalent to using Windows Millenium Edition today.

Bottom Line: Time to upgrade.

for the 2 years i had windows me, i never had a crash or any other major problem with it. but i agree, it is time to upgrade.

OP
A

Aarow

fearlessfreap24 said:
for the 2 years i had windows me, i never had a crash or any other major problem with it. but i agree, it is time to upgrade.

You gotta be kidding me! I had Windows ME for 3-4 years and it crashed..a lot.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If I were you I would skip 10.2 Jaguar and go with 10.3 Panther. There are some newer versions of applications I use that have problems in Jaguar. You can get a Legal copy of Panther 10.3 for under $50 now on Ebay. That should serve you well for a while anyway. If you can afford it, get Tiger for $129. That way you will be totally up to date.

Out of curiosity, what Mac are you running?

OP
B

ByHisGrace

dtravis7 said:
If I were you I would skip 10.2 Jaguar and go with 10.3 Panther. There are some newer versions of applications I use that have problems in Jaguar. You can get a Legal copy of Panther 10.3 for under $50 now on Ebay. That should serve you well for a while anyway. If you can afford it, get Tiger for $129. That way you will be totally up to date.

Out of curiosity, what Mac are you running?

first let me thank everyone for their help. I was figuring it was like the = to ME or 98. my mac is a baby lol. its a 12in. ibook 500mhz its suposed to have 512mb ram but someone on ebay jipped me. i am going to upgrade the ram for sure is there a certain one i need. i.e. simms sdram ect.? thanks again to everyone for their help.

Reaction score
ByHisGrace said:
first let me thank everyone for their help. I was figuring it was like the = to ME or 98. my mac is a baby lol. its a 12in. ibook 500mhz its suposed to have 512mb ram but someone on ebay jipped me. i am going to upgrade the ram for sure is there a certain one i need. i.e. simms sdram ect.? thanks again to everyone for their help.

You'll need a 512MB PC133 SODIMM, 144-pin. You only have one serviceable slot, 128mb is onboard, so get a 512mb stick and you'll be up to 640MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
mynameis said:
I fail to see how OS X is less expensive that Windows XP.

If you bought OS X when it first came out in March 01, and then purchased every update when they came out, you would have spent over $400. However, if you purchased Windows XP when it first came out in October 01, then just downloaded the free service packs as they came out, you would have spend a grand total of $100 to have the most up-to-date version of Windows for 5 years.

From Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.3, every major upgrade (not update) was close to a plain new system. The improvements were huge, with lots of new features, drivers, etc. And if I remember well, upgrading from 10.0 to 10.1 was free, or at least cheaper than the later upgrades.
You can't seriously compare that to the Service Packs for WinXP, which fixed lots of bugs and security issues, certainly, but did not add any new features, except SP2, and even that one didn't add a lot of features.
Windows XP, even after SP2, did not improve a lot during all those years, featurewise.
Mac OS X 10.4 is such an improved version of OS X that it is very difficult to even compare it to 10.0.

The 10.3 to 10.4 upgrade is a different story though, the little differences aren't worth a full price, especially taken into account that they removed software from it (no Stuffit, no iMovie and iDVD, which came with the 10.3 retail version).
And, by the way, when Windows XP came out, it was not available at $100,-... $250,- for the full retail version would be a more realistic price, back then.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Right now in any store I have visited, XP Home FULL Install is $199 and XP Pro Full Install is $299. Sometimes there are slight discounts but still a lot higher. You can get an Upgrade of Home for $99 but that is not a stand alone install. XP Home is a joke and does not have all the features and functionality of Pro. OSX is like Pro in features. So for me to get a full install of Pro would be well over $200.

OP
J

jn4jenny

Let's do the whole forum a favor and not let this turn into a "Mac vs. Windows" war. Obviously Windows XP has some perks or else such a large portion of the world wouldn't use it. Obviously OS X has some perks or else Mac users wouldn't be so loyal to it. Leave it at that, or go get yourself another thread, because it's quite rude to hijack this one.

OP
B

ByHisGrace

What were we talking about again?
Is there any way that i could still get that upgrade to 10.1 i am already purchasing the 10.3 on ebay i would get the full 10.4 but the only versions i find are dvd's i don't know if it comes on cd. but at least i will be putting on panther with a 512 stick which i know will make me much happier.
btw i see the going price for that 512 stick of ram is about $100 give or take even on ebay does anyone have suggestions on where else i could look? thanks agian for helping this lowley newbie. :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
fearlessfreap24 said:

I had ME for three days, and it crashed four times.

OP
K

kazikie

Aarow said:
You gotta be kidding me! I had Windows ME for 3-4 years and it crashed..a lot.

I used Windows ME once. It ran on my computer for 5 hours than crashed, and all i did was trun it on and leave it set. that system ran win 2k and such flawlissly. But anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.