Printer and Keyboard Question

Reaction score
Hello, can someone guide me in installing my HP Laser printer to my Macbook? I am using Google Chrome as my browser but can use Safari if I need to. Also, I would like to know how to use my wireless keyboard since I am using a larger monitor and not the Macbook.

Thanks for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just attach your HP LaserJet printer to your MacBook via USB and turn the printer on. Open Print & Fax from System Preferences. Your HP printer should show up there. Since you didn't mention which one you have, I don't know if drivers are already installed. Apple includes drivers for most HP LaserJet printers.

Setup your wireless keyboard from the Bluetooth option in System Preferences.

OP
A
Reaction score
Printer and keyboard

You mentioned USB. I tried all the USB cords I have and done fit into the USB hole on my printer. Is this something special I have to buy? If so, what should I be asking for?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have an older HP LaserJet printer it likely uses a different male connector to the printer. I have several of those types of USB cables laying around my computer spare stuff. That's why it's important for you to tell us which printer you have.

Take a look at this example of the type of printer USB cable you need from
WalMart: LINK

OP
A
Reaction score
I found the USB cord

from another computer. Now, where do I go to hook up the bluetooth for the wireless keyboard which is a Logetic.

OP
A
Reaction score
also, I don't have enough USB ports on my Macbook. Is there an addendum that I can purchase to add my USB for my wireless mouse and my thumb drives?

OP
A
Reaction score
Sorry, I went to system preferences and found the bluetooth and I am taking care of the keyboard in the morning. I also researched for the extra slots and found one for the Macbook. Will pickup tomorrow. Sorry again. I am learning slowly but getting it right. If I have any other questions tomorrow, I will post. Thanks
Did I mentioned my printer is working?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that's good. Thanks for posting back.

OP
A
Reaction score
I have another question. On my PC which I have transfer everything to my Macbook, I still have two things that needs to be exported. Is it possible to export my contacts and calendar to my Macbook? I exported them to my Seagate external hard drive but don't know how to try and see if it will work on this computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What program were you using on the PC to handle contacts and calendar? The transfer procedure may vary slightly depending upon which program you were using.

OP
A
Reaction score
Program using on my PC

Microsoft Office Outlook for email, calendar and contacts. I have my email working on the Macbook surprisingly. Speaking of email, how do I sign up for Mac mail? Is there a link?
Thanks very much.

OP
A
Reaction score
Keyboard question. When I go to set up bluetooth keyboard, it does not fine the keyboard. Any suggestions as to how I get this to work? What bluetooth device do I need?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's an overview of some of the options available.Moving Email from PC Outlook to Apple Mail - Mac Guides. It is focussed mainly on e-mail but does mention Welcome to Eight Hoof and Little Machines for getting all of the data across. I've been hearing about the program from Little Machines for a while now and it seems to be well received.

EDIT: Generally the process involves launching the Bluetooth preference pan in System preferences and making sure that Bluetooth is on and your Mac is "discoverable". Both radio butt ons at the top of the pane. Then click the + at the bottom of the pane to add a new device and follow the instructions that appear. You'll need to know how to make your keyboard discoverable. This should be in the documentation.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the info

I am already receiving mail from my macbook as I set it all up with road runner. As for the keyboard, I am ordering one especially for the Macbook. In the meantime, I will see if I can import my calendar and contacts from my Seagate external hard drive that I had exported them from my PC. If that doesn't work, then I will look into those two software programs you indicated. Thanks so much for your time and effort.

Valerie

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. That MacRumors page kinda sums things up nicely. The last time I looked for this information it was a nightmare to find.

You should have little/no trouble with the keyboard setup. I've had my Apple BT keyboard for several years with no trouble. The two times it started acting up and would not pair with the Mac it started working again as soon as I threatened to throw it away.

I am using rechargeable batteries with mine and they work fine. I have a second set around in case I beed to swap them out but I find that when they need a recharge I can put them in the charger overnight and they are ready the next morning.

OP
A
Reaction score
I just ordered a Macbook keyboard for 27.95. It's bluetooth ready. I printed out my address book and calendar. Will gradually input into my Macbook. Can't be bothered with trying to figure this all out. thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.