• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Bill Gates: There is 'a strong possibility' Apple needs a Surface-like device

Reaction score
Bill Gates: There is 'a strong possibility' Apple needs a Surface-like device

During a PBS interview on Monday night Microsoft founder Bill Gates said that Surface may prompt Apple to shift its iPad strategy in order to compete with the capabilities offered by the upcoming Windows 8 tablet.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The only Surface-like device people need is an affordable Surface table, not tablet.

Reaction score
Not sure what to think here...I mean it's kinda ironic...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
So, essentially the news here is that Bill Gates says that Apple needs to produce a copy of a copy of their iPad . . . strange! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8ghz
So that's why Bill's been trying to buy my Newton, he wants to reverse engineer it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hey Bill, you quit Microsoft to do your Foundation. Go back to using your iPad please! :D Grin

I bet he owns one. BTW the Surface hard locked when it was being Demoed at that Microsoft Special Event. He had to put it down and grab another.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The only Surface-like device people need is an affordable Surface table, not tablet.
That would be fantastic. I'd love to have a table like that. It should would make entertaining more geeky!

Reaction score
Surface schmurface. What I'm waiting for -- and would love Apple to come out with -- is capitative touch monitors. On my desk right now are three 22inch displays arranged in an arch with my MacBook Pro front and center below the central monitor. The ability to reach out and touch what I want, drag and drop with my fingers, and etc would be enormously powerful. As it stands right now, dragging my mouse across nearly 7000 pixels is rather cumbersome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would be fantastic. I'd love to have a table like that. It should would make entertaining more geeky!

Board games and D&D would be so incredibly awesome on a Surface table.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What gates is talking about though is the new Microsoft Surface tablet insinuating that the iPad needs to catch up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What gates is talking about though is the new Microsoft Surface tablet insinuating that the iPad needs to catch up.

We know, but I think it's a horrible name stealing thing to do. The Surface is a table, not a tablet.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Surface schmurface. What I'm waiting for -- and would love Apple to come out with -- is capitative touch monitors. On my desk right now are three 22inch displays arranged in an arch with my MacBook Pro front and center below the central monitor. The ability to reach out and touch what I want, drag and drop with my fingers, and etc would be enormously powerful. As it stands right now, dragging my mouse across nearly 7000 pixels is rather cumbersome.
How about a Minority Report-esque computer?

Board games and D&D would be so incredibly awesome on a Surface table.
Playing Risk without having to worry about pieces getting strewn all over the place would be excellent.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We know, but I think it's a horrible name stealing thing to do. The Surface is a table, not a tablet.

Yes it is interesting they did that. When I first saw the announcement I thought that table also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Good luck with that. Back in 2009, MS was claiming that by 2010, they'd get the price down from $15k to a point where it'd be affordable to consumers. I thought it was a pretty comical assertion then, and even more so today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
As it stands right now, dragging my mouse across nearly 7000 pixels is rather cumbersome.

What a horrible quandary to find yourself in! I sympathize for you. Heaven forbid you should reduce the size to make it easier to use.....

;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA

You obviously have a different set of rules in your computer room than I do. I have an enormously powerful eighteen inch dowel rod that is ready for use if anybody's fingers come within six inches of either my Macbook Air display, or my Thunderbolt monitor.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Your arms would get tired really fast. If it was like on a table surface then not so much. However using a 22" or 27" display as they are today as a touch screen probably won't have good user reviews.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Tablet. Mice suck.

Reaction score
Your arms would get tired really fast. If it was like on a table surface then not so much. However using a 22" or 27" display as they are today as a touch screen probably won't have good user reviews.

Problem with that is my neck would be in a terrible state from looking down all day. It hurts even if the monitor isn't high enough off the desktop. Not to mention the loss of physical space to keep my color bridges handy, my desk fans pointing at me, my printer in arms reach, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.