HDD size limit for 1,1 Macbook (early 2006)

Reaction score
Hi i have an early 2006 Macbook 1,1, 2Ghz, 1gb sd ram, 13inch monitor. Last year i upgraded the HDD from 80 Gb(original) to 500Gb seagate HDD with snow leopard. it worked well for a year though a bit slow which was attributed to snowleopard and then crashed.
Also i must add very importantly my battery had completely given out, no battery life whatsoever, so a couple times when the power cord would get yanked off , the system would shut down.Now the 500Gb HDD has been reformatted and fixed back with a new battery and it seems to work well. However i havent yet loaded all my data back into it as i have recieved conflicting opinions.
one opinion says that i should use a hard drive with maximum capacity of 250Gb as that is the maximum my particular macbook can support.
Another opinion says that size does not matter as long as it fits into the laptop.Does anyone have a clue about what is correct. do i need to change to a lesser sized Hard disk drive?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To the best of my knowledge there is no HD size limit for a MacBook. The only limitation are the physical dimensions of the HD (some larger drives over 750gig can be too thick/tall)...not the amount of storage (gigs) inside of the HD.

- Nick

C

chas_m

I can confirm that whoever gave you the rubbish that you attribute to "one opinion says" is completely wrong.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
Z
Reaction score
thank you

yes i have started using my macbook and loading all my data back into it.
Thank you all

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.