How to Transfer Photos from iPhoto?

Reaction score
I went on vacation and took 1500 photos and I transferred them in my Iphoto in mac book air. I want to transfer those photos now to mac book pro at my home, what is the easiest way to do it without losing resolution.

C

chas_m

You have a lot of options for this.

A simple thumb drive should be able to handle this. 1,500 photos sounds like a lot to you and me, but I'd be surprised if that takes up 4GB of actual hard drive space (unless they're all really high-res RAW pics). Even so, a 16GB thumb drive should be fairly easily acquired for around $15 or less.

You could burn a DVD.

The really elegant way is to use iCloud's Photo Stream feature to handle it wirelessly. Turn on Photo Stream on the receiving machine (requires an iCloud account which I assume you have already), set up Photo Stream on the "sending" machine if you haven't already, and it will wirelessly sync the pictures to the other machine. If they're very large files, this will take a while so don't let the receiving machine sleep while this is going on to save time (or, if you don't care about time, don't worry about it -- the pictures will still arrive, just more slowly as long as the machine is on).

If the pictures are still on your camera card, of course that could be used since your MBP has a card reader built-in.

If you're on Flickr Pro ($25/year), you can upload your pictures at full resolution to the site and then of course download them onto another machine (this will take a LOT of time).

OP
S
Reaction score
this is in follow up of
"I went on vacation and took 1500 photos and I transferred them in my Iphoto in mac book air. I want to transfer those photos now to mac book pro at my home, what is the easiest way to do it without losing resolution. "

I appreciate the response, I have multiple events created in the computer and I want to export as events but somehow I am unable to do it on thumb drive or hard drive. I cannot even drag the event or all the pictures in one event at a time. what am i doing wrong? photostream does not export as event.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Find your iPhoto Library on your MBA and make a copy of it (maybe name it something like Vacation Photos). Drag that onto your external drive, then hook to external to your MBP and either open iPhoto and import from the new library, or copy it onto your MBP and use it as a second library, switching between them as desired.

BTW I highly reccommend David Pogue's, iPhoto the Missing Manual
http://www.amazon.com/iPhoto-11-Mis...rds=iphoto+missing+manual?tag=macforums0e4-20

OP
S
Reaction score
thank you, i will certainly try that, how is the software aperture, is it much better?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
thank you, i will certainly try that, how is the software aperture, is it much better?

I bought Aperture several years ago for the improved Library management. Today, I'm not sure I'd go that way. Either stick with iPhoto (which has really ramped up Library management) or go to Ilghtroom (which I'm considering anyway).

EDIT: Aperture does have better editting features than iPhoto.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.