iTunes backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro early 2012running Mavericks,MacMini Core i7 running Mavericks: iPhone 4s, iPad 3rd Gen
In anticipation of Mountain Lion, I was wanting to prepare by backing up my iTunes folder.
I intend doing a fresh install.
I have a late 2011 MBP running Lion.
All my data is backed up on an external drive.

Is it just a matter of copying the iTunes folder onto the external drive, installing Mountain Lion then copying itunes back over ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If all your data is already backed up to an external hard drive (assuming you're using Time Machine) then there is no need to separately backup the iTunes folder. If you desire, you can backup the iTunes media folder by itself to a flash drive or another external drive.

What I suggest doing is to first install Mountain Lion over the top of Lion since that should be easy and fast. Afterward, if for some reason you wish to do a clean install, you can always erase your hard drive and install clean. Of course it's up to you.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro early 2012running Mavericks,MacMini Core i7 running Mavericks: iPhone 4s, iPad 3rd Gen
Yes I have TM running to its own drive but I was intending to format it and start fresh with the clean install of Mountain Lion.
This MBP is only months old and as it is my first Mac, I have been doing a lot of experimentation with it
ie loading trial versions of Photoshop and other programs. Programs that I will not be putting on the newly installed Mountain Lion.
I only did things like this to gain experience of installing/uninstalling software
Of all the stuff on it it at the moment. iTunes is all I wish to keep.

C

chas_m

You can simply copy the iTunes Library (located in the Music folder -- actually I recommend you copy the ENTIRE Music folder for safety's sake) onto an external drive.

Once you've set up your fresh install of Mountain Lion and downloaded a fresh copy of iTunes, you can simply replace the default Music folder with your saved copy. Launch iTunes holding the option key and select your moved "old" library as the default.

Be aware that if you really do a "nuke and pave" of the hard drive and just install Mountain Lion, you'll need to re-purchase (or if you purchased them from the Mac App Store, re-download) any other iLife, iWork or third-party apps you have. None of that is included with Mountain Lion.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats great, thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.