How do I "tab" like I used to in windows?

Reaction score
On windows, I used to use the 'tab' button to quickly switch between dialog based options as it's more convenient than the mouse click. I'm using Snow Leopard and I'm fairly new to apple based products in general.

Perfect prime example is when I go to turn off the computer via the hot keys >
Control+ Eject

But I want to be able to switch between the options without having to use the mouse, and I swear I've tried using all the buttons possible on the keyboard, nothing seemed to switch them.

M

MacInWin

On my MBP, the tab key tabs just as I would expect. On my MBP, the tab key is on the left, above the caps lock key. On my iMac with the larger aluminum keyboard, the tab key is in the same place.

EDIT: I just tried your Control+Eject, then tabbed to Cancel. I had to then press Space to get the highlight to shift there and to cancel the action. So, it looks like tab, then space when on the option you want should work.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Full Keyboard Access > All Controls.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you VERY VERY much vansmith, that was the solution right there. I swear I was going to go nuts trying to figure this out lol.

All is perfect now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
But just as MacInWin said, be sure to hit the space bar in order to confirm the selection rather than hitting the Return key.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.