• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Grey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Friday Netflix movie night at my house this evening. We watched The Grey. Awesome movie. Somewhat unexpected ending. Chilling at times, but surprisingly human. Camera work and scenery were very good. CGI was passable for the most part. It even a had a decent "steel yourself for the last battle"-type poem in it. Somewhat reminiscent of Gladiator in a way if you pay attention to the thread linking the short "dream sequences" along the way. A bit of a twist at the end as to the main character's motivation behind what he was going to do at the beginning of the film. Only two grisly animal attack scenes which weren't too bad - animal lover here and I made it through them. I'd recommend it. Enjoy!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You weren't hit with the EC2 outage last night that took down, amongst other, Netflix? I tried to get on last night and was greeted with a never ending spinning wheel.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
No outage here that I was aware of, fortunately. I had the movie on rental disk anyhow. Now that I think of it, I couldn't get Star Trek TNG to stream to ATV from Netflix later in the evening though.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It went down at ~ 11:30 (see here).

Anyway, back on topic. I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the recommendation!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Can't tell you how much I hated that movie. Totally predictable, CGI wolves ala Twilight and a very silly premise IMHO. Liam has dropped his standards where taking roles is concerned. I used to take him seriously as an actor, but ever since he did Star Wars, things just haven't been the same (again IMHO) for him.

D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Just watched it last night as well, (although on DVD), I thought it was an overall good movie. Did you watch past the credits? There's a 2-3 second clip that helps with the surprise (and slightly disappointing) ending.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 3rd Gen
I really loved this movie. I didn't really care for the wolf attacks either, but I did like watching the survivors' personalities clash. I didn't get to see it in theatres but it was definitely worth picking up from Redbox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You weren't hit with the EC2 outage last night that took down, amongst other, Netflix? I tried to get on last night and was greeted with a never ending spinning wheel.

I had that same problem. I thought it was a problem with my account or something. I don't know how long my was out, but it was working fine last night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Can't tell you how much I hated that movie. Totally predictable, CGI wolves ala Twilight and a very silly premise IMHO. Liam has dropped his standards where taking roles is concerned. I used to take him seriously as an actor, but ever since he did Star Wars, things just haven't been the same (again IMHO) for him.

D.

I thought he was very good in Taken. Loved that movie.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I didn't like the movie either. Wolverine wanna be no thanks. >_<"

Went to the movies to go watch it. Then saw it again on Blu-Ray on Friday and still didn't like it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought he was very good in Taken. Loved that movie.
That movie was fantastic. I'm looking forward to the second one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro w/ Retina (Personal) and iMac (Work)
*** @ 'Wolverine-wannabe'

Liam is awesome even after Star Wars.

If your really a fan of his you should check out Rob Roy. It has some of the best fencing, sword-fighting sequences in movie history. Especially at the end.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That movie was fantastic. I'm looking forward to the second one.

Taken is great. Are they going to do a sequel? If so I hope it's as good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Mid 2012
I thought The Grey was a pretty good movie. One of the better ones Ive seen in recent years. Most of what hollywood is putting out in recent history is crap.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Grey was a disappointing movie to me and I'm a fan of Liam Neeson...Taken was awesome and I'm totally looking forward to Taken 2..

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
*** @ 'Wolverine-wannabe'

Liam is awesome even after Star Wars.

If your really a fan of his you should check out Rob Roy. It has some of the best fencing, sword-fighting sequences in movie history. Especially at the end.

It was a joke. Was referring to the ending where he attaches some accoutrements.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.