Switcher: iCloud before owning a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Saving for a Mac
i was wondering can i set up a icloud account before i own a imac??? i was asking because it would be easier to transfer my fav links to my new mac when i get it.

Thanks in Advance, GamerGirlAlice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Or any iOS device. Do you have an iPod, iPad, iPhone? As for the Windows machine:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html

But more importantly, if you have ever used iTunes before on your Windows machine, and have signed IN to iTunes, then you already have an Apple ID, which is associated with what will be your iCloud account.

Doug

OP
GamerGirlAlice
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Saving for a Mac
I do have a valid apple id but says it is not a valid icloud id. I have an old ipod nano second gen. I don't know if I can get it with that or not but haven't been have any luck setting it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
So when you try and set up the iCloud Control Panel in Windows, it says that your ID isn't valid? Interesting. Because I'd be willing to bet that if you bought a new Mac, and used that ID during the setup process at the store, it would take it.

Is iTunes on your machine up to date?

Doug

Edit: Go to appleid.apple.com and try to manage your account from there. Seems as though their servers are down at the moment...

OP
GamerGirlAlice
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Saving for a Mac
when i try to turn on icloud it says "this is a valid apple id but not a valid icloud account." i looked it up all i am seeing as a way to start a icloud account is to use a ios 5 device or a osx computer. i was just wondering if i can open one some way with out a imac. also would ios 5 be on a current ipod nano? i have a second gen nano but sure it's not able to set up icloud.

C

chas_m

A nano (like the shuffle) runs a proprietary system and can't be used to set up an iCloud account.

What the error message is likely trying to tell you is that you have to go to icloud.com and SET UP the iCloud account using your Apple ID. You can't just turn on iCloud on a device and it magically transfers the account for you.

OP
GamerGirlAlice
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Saving for a Mac
A nano (like the shuffle) runs a proprietary system and can't be used to set up an iCloud account.

What the error message is likely trying to tell you is that you have to go to icloud.com and SET UP the iCloud account using your Apple ID. You can't just turn on iCloud on a device and it magically transfers the account for you.

pretty much its telling me i have to go to icloud website. when i went there said i can only do it on a ios or osx device. so i guess i was just trying to find out if there is another way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Pc

I can't log into icloud either. I am a PC user. It seems there is a loophole that apple forgot to fix. If you are using a PC and have an apple ID there is no way to set up icloud on the PC. I've been through help sections, sites, and here and they all point to that one page but still there is no way to make your apple ID your icloud username. Signing into icloud with the apple id simply doesn't work. They need to create a way to do so. I was going to start using icloud since I'm waiting to get my macbok pro in about a year. But I guess I'll stick with my flash drive as my backup.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you read the information at the LINK in the above post provided by member Doug b?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I did. Trying to create an apple ID just tells me my email is already an apple ID and to sign in with that. I don't own any apple products at this time, so I can't go ahead and sign into icloud with my apple ID on one of them. I am stuck only with a PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.