MBP to Digital TV cable problem

Reaction score
I recently purchased a cable to use my Sony Bravia TV as my computer screen. Unfortunately, none of the You Tube videos has the same cable. I can't find the box it came in to look up the part number, but mine is not a "single" connector. It has one port for my iPad, e.g., and the other end has two ports, one that is USB, and the other, I'm not sure of. I'm sorry for this inept description. Can anyone recognize my problem and help? Please? :\

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am not sure you have the right cable there. The title of the thread mentions a MacBook Pro but the description in the post mentions iPad. Which one are you trying to connect to the TV iPad or MBP?

If it is the MacBook Pro which one? Also which mode; Bravia are you trying to connect?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks. Sorry for the ambiguity. My Bravia is the KDL40XBR9 LCD Digital TV. The cable I purchased is supposed to be usable with iiPad, iPod, and MacBook Pro, which I why I tried it with both my MBP and iPad. I so hate going to the Apple Store because it's so crowded, and I've twice been "forgotten" while someone was supposed to be coming to help me. I think I'll bite the bullet, though, and set up a Genius App't. for tomorrow to be sure my cable is, in fact, the right one. Unless, of course, an answer turns up here in the meanwhile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I'll check out the links you provided.
Seems like my most serious problems are related to which versions my MBP and iPad are. No fewer than three of the Apple Store Geniuses were tripping over each other yesterday, trying to connect my MBP and early version 1 iPad to their in-store Sony Bravia digital TV. They kept calling to the back room for different cables/adapters. I've forgotten how many things they tried, but one "final" suggestion was that I get a PC-to-TV cable and use my USB adapter at the PC end, then use an RCA audio cable for the sound. Totally different from any of the You Tube demos I'd viewed, and my brain is totally stewed at this time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No fewer than three of the Apple Store Geniuses were tripping over each other yesterday, trying to connect my MBP and early version 1 iPad to their in-store Sony Bravia digital TV. They kept calling to the back room for different cables/adapters.

ROTFL. Glad you are finally getting some answers. I must point out though that it is supposed tone my function in life to confuse an entire team of Genius Bar people.

OP
M
Reaction score
Are you saying I get some kind of Award for discombobulating the Genius Bar? This is one time I would far rather have a plain vanilla problem . . . I'm going to let all this info sink in over the Holiday, and - hopefully - see if the info clicks into place when I come back to it. Meanwhile, thanks for your responses. Happy Fourth, All!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe there should be an award for that. I'm a bit jealous I only confused two guys at once.

I just remembered something that might be relevant. While looking up some information about connecting iPads to interactive whiteboards I ran across a blog post somewhere that says there are some apps that run fine on the iPad 1 but do not display that output to something like a whiteboard. I wonder if the same applies to TVs. Do you know what apps they tested with? I would test with iPhoto but do not have the proper cable.

Edit This is not the list I was thinking of but it does give an idea of which apps should work. I think the output may be VGA though. http://cywee.com/docs/TV-Out_Apps.pdf

C

chas_m

I can't comment on the MacBook Pro, but the original iPad simply doesn't do mirroring of its output. At all. No amount of cabling is going to fix that. The Apple adapters will let you use that iPad to play a movie or display photos, and that's about it.

An Apple TV will let you do these things wirelessly, since the original iPad can run iOS 5 and take advantage of AirPlay, but you still can't mirror the contents of the iPad screen (without jailbreaking, anyway).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.