migration

Reaction score
I am setting up my Mac from PC and I am about 4 hours into the migration process. Should it take that long? Both the PC and the Mac say they are searching.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, that's good. Also read through the Apple support document that covers the Windows Migration Assistant for Lion so you will have a better idea of what goes where and the result of the migration. Don't interrupt the process while it's migrating as it can take some time. LINK to support document.

OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
OK, that's good. Also read through the Apple support document that covers the Windows Migration Assistant for Lion so you will have a better idea of what goes where and the result of the migration. Don't interrupt the process while it's migrating as it can take some time. LINK to support document.

Ok thanks. Ill wait it out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It shouldn't take that long but of course it depends on how fast your network is and how much data you have to migrate. But if it does bog down, just kill it and go about it manually. Since you have the Apple instructions, (link above) you have an idea where everything is supposed to go anyway.

All the migrated data from Windows is imported to a new user account which means that after everything has migrated, it's up to you to sort it out and move it where you want it to go. Some things are easy to figure out, like music and photos. But others like contacts and certain documents might not be so easy.

OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
Second attempt between Pc & Mac. Got the confirm number that said they were talking. Mig Asst on Pc is ready to transfer. Choose what programs u want on Mac.

Mac MA says its inspecting computer,calculating remaining space and items. This has been running since 10pm east coast. First try ran for 7 hrs.
Any suggestions?

OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
By the way, I have gotten more response from this forum then in eight years on Pc. U are all rock stars. Always nice to know someone is out here to assist ....great job community.

C

chas_m

I'm afraid I don't know that much about troubleshooting PC-to-Mac migration, but one thing that I'm sure would be helpful is to do a full suite of maintenance on the PC beforehand.

Things like cleaning the registry, rebuilding the Outlook database, making sure pictures and movies and such are in "My Pictures" and "My Movies" and so forth. In short, good housekeeping.

Also, be sure to turn OFF any internet connection, followed by any anti-virus or anti-malware you have running on the PC. That's likely to be the culprit.

OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
Do I need to set up my user acct on the Mac before migrating? I followed the steps and that was not one of them?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Jagsfish

Please do not double post or cross post. You posted this same subject again when you already had an ongoing thread. Always post back to the same thread. Your threads have been merged together.

C

chas_m

Do I need to set up my user acct on the Mac before migrating? I followed the steps and that was not one of them?

No, in fact it is more helpful if you don't set up an account prior to running the Migration Assistant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.