Make a new account and delete old users files

Reaction score
Hey I recently got my Mac mini and the person who has owned it before me has left all this stuff on here. I basically want to make a new account and have a clear HDD. How do I do this?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hey I recently got my Mac mini and the person who has owned it before me has left all this stuff on here. I basically want to make a new account and have a clear HDD. How do I do this?

Is there a particular reason you don't want to do as previously suggested on this in your other post?

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/278009-switched-windows-mac-i-am-so-lost-2.html

If you look again at post #17 you will find a link to Apple's Web Site with instructions on how to do exactly what you are wanting to do.

EDIT: There are other ways to go about this, such as setting up your own User account, and then deleting the old user account, but this isn't as clean and there is always potential for error (especially with new-to-Mac users) so don't generally reccomend doing it that way.

EDIT2: FWIW, if you have your Leopard OS Disks you can follow the same procedure as described for Snow Leopard in the Link provided to do an erase and reinstall. You don't have to have Snow Leopard. Just make sure the OS Disks you use are Retail Disks. For Leopard they would be Black (Snow Leopard Retail Disks are White).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.