Logic board failure

Reaction score
I have a Mac in my home where I keep all of my pictures, videos, music, etc. My mac is probably 5 yrs old and it went down recently. The Apple store has advised my "logic board" has failed and they can replace it for $634.00. I had purchased the extended warranty with the machine. I am glad I did get the warranty when I purchased the machine as before the warranty expired the hard drive went down (less than two yrs) and it was replaced for no charge. The warranty has now long expired and the question is DO I REPLACE the logic board or buy a new computer??????????? If I replace the logic board what other failures are on the horizon? Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After 5 years that computer has lost a lot of it's value...and more than likely paying $634 to have it repaired isn't worth it. You would be much better off spending that $634 towards a new computer.

I don't know what computer model you have currently...but for a little as $599 you can get a Mac-Mini...or you could get an entry level MacBook Pro or iMac for $1199. Of course if you have a larger budget...you can get something better than entry level.:)

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
I have a Mac in my home where I keep all of my pictures, videos, music, etc. My mac is probably 5 yrs old and it went down recently. The Apple store has advised my "logic board" has failed and they can replace it for $634.00. I had purchased the extended warranty with the machine. I am glad I did get the warranty when I purchased the machine as before the warranty expired the hard drive went down (less than two yrs) and it was replaced for no charge. The warranty has now long expired and the question is DO I REPLACE the logic board or buy a new computer??????????? If I replace the logic board what other failures are on the horizon? Thanks in advance.
Thanks Nick,
After viewing a few other discussions it appears these problems, failed hard drive (less than two yrs), failed LCD, failed power supply, now logic board are all too common and I am not inclined to buy another iMac or any Apple product for that matter. The problem is that I love managing my photos, videos, music, Apple TV and Airport in my home and have invested a lot of time learning how to use these features. Since all of the major components will have been replaced, it seems to me once the logic board is done I am back in business, whereas buying a new machine would require moving all of my data and starting over.....where am I wrong?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After viewing a few other discussions it appears these problems, failed hard drive (less than two yrs), failed LCD, failed power supply, now logic board are all too common and I am not inclined to buy another iMac or any Apple product for that matter.

If you search the internet (or Mac-Forums)...you can find SOMEONE who has had a problem with each of the components you mentioned (just the way it goes, whether we're talking cars, dishwashers, televisions, or computers)...but it is VERY RARE for a single person to have had a problem with each of these components on the same computer. Unless the individual computer was a real "lemon" of some sort...or the computer was not taken care of.

We have someone here who had an iMac that was running 24/7 for 5 years straight without an issue. We have MANY MANY members that own iMac's...and have NEVER had a problem. For every single person that has a problem...there are 1000's & 1000's of folks who have never had a problem.

If we were having lots of problems with our Mac's...do you really think that we would keep on buying them...no...of course not!

Since all of the major components will have been replaced, it seems to me once the logic board is done I am back in business, whereas buying a new machine would require moving all of my data and starting over.....where am I wrong?

I don't know what iMac model you have...but let's say it's worth $750 bucks (if it was working). Since it's not currently working...let's say that it's worth MAYBE $200-$250 for parts.

Now what you're suggesting is...spending $634 for a new logic board for a computer that's currently worth $200-$250.

Instead for $599 you can get a brand new Mac-Mini...or for $1199 you can get an entry level MacBook Pro or iMac...which (more than likely) will be a much much better computer than what you have!

The bottom line is...you've had your current iMac for 5 years. You've had some unfortunate problems...and right now your iMac is worth about $200-$250 bucks for parts.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Apple computers...otherwise why would Apple users continue to buy Apple products??;) I say it's time to move on...and get yourself a new or newer computer. Migrating your info is really not that big of a deal.

Of course...if you want to spend $634 on a 5 year-old non-working iMac worth $200-$250 bucks parts...go for it!

- Nick

p.s. I guessing that you're not a "DIY" person...since you mentioned that it's going to cost $634 to have a new logic board installed. But just in case you are willing to do the work yourself...you may be able to find a good used logic board on e-Bay (or somewhere else) for much less than a new logic board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.