I may cry ...... iTunes problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys,
I made the basic rookie mistake of loading my iPad 2 up with a load of books, TV shows, audio books and films (Not much into music) but then I realised that I can only read one book and watch one film at a time plus there was no room for new apps etc.
So then I decided to remove all the stuff from my iPad except for a couple of books and some TV episodes.
My idea was to delete the files from my iPad but leave them in iTunes so that when I finished a book I could send it to the trash and sync another one. It seemed like a good idea at the time so I deleted about 30 novels, 6 audio books, 2 films and a dozen TV shows. I did a right click on the books etc and then clicked on "Keep File" which means that the file is kept in the iTunes media folder.
I have been searching, on and off, for about 5 days hoping to find this mythical Media folder with no joy.
If anybody can point me at it I will kiss their feet.
Cheers,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro: 2.3Ghz i5 Processer, 8GB RAM, OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD
User/Music/Itunes/Itunes Media/

That should be the way to go.
Hope this helps!

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Grayw97 ..... Thank you very much for the reply.
What I should have added is that I barely know how to use this Mac Mini and, to be totally honest, I haven't got a clue what you mean by "User/Music/Itunes/Itunes Media/." Would I be meant to start by opening iTunes on my main PC? When I do that, I see nothing at all that looks like what you wrote.
The bad news is that I know I'm as stupid as a bag of wet mice but how do you learn without asking?
Has anybody else noticed that Help files never seem to address the one issue that you have? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Open Finder, click on you user name in the left sidebar, in here you should see a Music folder, in there there should be an iTunes folder and in there will be your Media folder

In here you can find the items that you removed from the library and drag them back into iTunes.

Going forward you can manage what does and doesn't get synced to your iPad by ticking or unticking books/tv shows/movies in each of the pages that appear along the top of the window in iTunes when you connect your iPad - the first page is 'Summary' and has a picture of your iPad on.

This way you control what gets copied to and removed from your iPad and nothing is deleted. Everything stays safe in your iTunes library.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you also, MrPlow.
When I open a Finder window, all I get are 3 icons which are ..... Network, Macintosh HD and Remote disc. There is no Side bar or anything that even looks like one. I realise that this is because of the way that Preferences has been set up at one time. (Not Guilty, m'lud)
But after clicking on lots of icons I finally found an icon for Music and from there I found the other stuff including the books etc that I removed from the iPad earlier. I have now synced the iPad and I have lots to read and watch.
With regard to what I see when opening a Finder window, is there some trick to get the Prefs back to how they were when the OS was first installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
We can do that.....

Open Finder, go to the menu bar

Finder - Preferences - Sidebar tab
Now tick everything! (personally I skip iDisk and Back to My Mac)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
Instead of a blow by blow on each step you can take, I recommend you take a look at SCOtutor for Mac in the Mac App store. It is a free 2 hour tutorial on getting around in a Mac and where to find the settings.

I'm glad you found your files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.