how to maximize internet speed by cleaning up 2008 Macbook?

Reaction score
Hello. My knowledge of how computers operate is nill and I am needing some help to speed up my internet searching. My internet provider says my speed tests show optimum speed and the sluggishness must be my Macbook. What can I do to cleanup or free up space on my computer so it operates faster when using the internet? I have a 2008 black Macbook (250 GB memory). Processor is 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Operating system was upgraded to snow leopard. When I first purchased, someone told me to partition the hard drive (why I can't remember). At this writing MAC HD 1 has a capacity of 124.72 GB with 27.09 GB available. MAC HD 2 has a capacity of 124.86 GB with 124.78 GB available. Will merging MAC HD1 and HD2 help? Will data be lost? (I have a 1 TB my passport for backup).

Someone told me to delete applications that I do not use, however, I do not know which ones are essential for the computer to function and which are not. This is so confusing to me. Is there reliable software that can help with this that someone with little to no knowledge can use?

Any help is much appreciated.

regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I definitely do not recommend deleting applications or anything else for that matter. Make a backup using Time Machine to your external Passport drive, then boot the machine with your Snow Leopard DVD, erase the hard drive, partition it as one partition, reinstall Snow Leopard, and then restore your data from the Time Machine backup. You should be OK after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Can I just add that some routine maintenance on your modem/router set-up would also help, pulling the power cables and resetting them for example. Use any maintenance tools available within the router's software utility. Make sure that all the firmware is up to date and consider upgrading if the equipment is showing it's age.

Reaction score
Reset you router, make sure the channel you are using isn't being used by any other wireless Google WIFI scanner

Check to see if you are on an "n" router vs "b" or "g" if on the later it's time for a new router.

Merge the HD partitions..10% free space is a good number

That black book should last many more years!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.