Maximize internet access speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I've read all the info I can find still not 100% sure I understand the speed issue and what I can do to get the best performance -

I have Comcast cable internet access. I have a newish MBA. I have a TBD. I have an older PC. I want to get good speedy wired and wireless internet access. I live in a rural area. I want to get as much speed as I can so that the browsing experience is good. I also connect to an enterprise network using a browser that opens a citrix viewer and I do run software (MS Word and others) over the internet at times (weekends and evenings working at home)

I have a small wired home network between two small home offices in the house. I use an 8 port 10/100 wired router for that and I have an inexpensive wireless access point connected to the wired router. Short Cat 5 cable runs. My Comcast cable internet comes into the wired router now. I am not as concerned about the speed of the lan in my house as I am about internet access speed both when connected over wireless access point and when using wired connection through the TBD for the MBA or direct to wired router when using PC.

Also have a couple of iPhones and iPads using the wireless access point. Another issue is range - largish 2 story house with office on basement and ground floor deck and patio on opposite sides. Want to have strong wireless on attached deck and patio as well.

How would you all recommend setting this up? Any specific hardware recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Speed as per a Speedtest.net test is not the full picture but it would be worth just seeing what you're getting locally.

You may want to look at what Apple's Time Capsule , Airport Extreme and Airport Express can offer you. There are lots of schematics around to help you configure your LAN/WAN with them.

A Dual Band Router is something worth thinking about in any case.

Ask Ars: are dual-band 802.11n routers worth the extra cost? | Ars Technica

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.