Lost "go back" triangle symbol

Reaction score
My system seems to have lost the "go to the previous page" black triangle at the extreme upper left of the screen. Instead, there is a plus sign, which (when clicked) asks if I want to "add a bookmark for the current page," which I certainly DO NOT want to do. I can't find any way to get back to the previous screen.

As an example, when I do a Google search and select one of the items that comes up, I am unable to get back to the first Google results screen to look at another one of the Google-listed items. This has happened only recently, and I suspect that it is a result of some add-on that I didn't realize would do this kind of thing.

Any ideas of what is causing this, and what I can do to turn it off?

Reaction score
Hi,

in Safari, click View > Customize Toolbar. Drag the default set back to the toolbar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The answer above is certainly what you want to do.
However,

I can't find any way to get back to the previous screen.
Command - Left Arrow would do it as well.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi,

in Safari, click View > Customize Toolbar. Drag the default set back to the toolbar.

Thanks a lot for the quick and effective reply. It took me a few minutes to understand just how to drag that default set, and just which toolbar it meant, but once I woke up it worked just fine. I am very grateful; I have no idea how that "feature" appeared in the first place, but I am happy to be rid of it.

OP
J
Reaction score
toMACsh Suggestion

Thanks for the second response to tell me how to get back by another approach. This is my first venture in this kind of forum, and I can see that it might be very helpful with simple questions like this. I've been using Macs since 1984, but the programmers seem to come up with new features faster than I can follow them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.