Backup of windows disk

Reaction score
How do you backup your windows disk ?

I am currently using CCC to take images of my Mac OS X disk. But I am looking to find a good way to backup the Windows 7 disk of NTFS as well. I notice that CCC can do the job but not bootable. I have been thinking on just running Acronis on w7.

How do you guys backup your windows disk on the mac?

I also have a problem with CCC it can backup but not save the file to NTFS, if I try to backup w7.

This means I now need one NTFS external disk to use for backups of w7 with NTFS and one other external with HFS+ to backup OS X. Any way to make it one program and one file system? Instead of 2 file systems and 2 disks?

Anyone want to share their ways?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Acronis True Image will not work because it doesn't understand EFI. Unless they've done major work on the app it needs a BIOS to properly restore the image.

The new version of WinClone is supposed to be improved and said to work to restore a Windows 7 partition. It's now pay ware and can be downloaded from here.

The other alternative (which has worked for me) is to use the Windows 7 built in backup which also creates a restorable (not bootable) image. It does require that you create the image on an external drive formatted to NTFS. To restore, you boot with your Windows DVD, select the partition to restore to, the image, and restore. A bit risky because you can accidentally overwrite OS X if you're not careful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.