• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Recording Video from iTunes Purchases

Reaction score
Hello!

First post and all of that: I find myself completely up against a wall, and reckoned I'd best consult the experts.

I'm a student working on a critical presentation on the evolution of zombie cinema for a class. Obviously, using clips from actual, you know, zombie cinema to illustrate my points is pretty vital, especially for a compare and contrast of, for example, Romero's original ghouls in the era of Vietnam versus post-9/11 fears manifested in The Walking Dead. It's my understanding (per my teacher, anyway) that because it's critical examination and a 'transformative work', it falls under fair use of copyrighted material.

Now, here's my dilemma: I bought 'The Walking Dead' S1 on iTunes ages ago. The clips I'd like to use during the presentation are usually between fifteen-to-thirty seconds, but iTunes DRM (understandably) foils my attempts to record the clips with its check board placeholder. Is there any screen recording app which will actually record from iTunes video? I've heard there is a work-around with Quicktime, but apparently the frame rate is really too choppy to be of much use, and I've also run across iShowU, but haven't seen anything which verifies whether or not it can cap clips out of iTunes. I know I could probably use record bits of a DVD with VLC, but I'd rather not have to purchase (another) copy of TWD purely for use in the presentation.

This is a dodgy legal area, and I realize that; I'm hoping the fair use aspect and the brevity of the clips for illustration purpose is enough, but if this post is at odds with the forum rules, I'll completely understand. Anyway... any help is so appreciated.

Cheers,

M.

C

chas_m

The solution is to not use the clips from the shows you got from iTunes.

I agree completely with you that you have a perfect legal right (even under the ridiculously over-harsh US laws) to extract clips from these shows for use in your academic presentation. However, the iTunes DRM cannot, to the best of my knowledge, be circumvented.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.