• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

USB Error

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro: 2.16 ghz intel core duo, 256 mb video ram, 2 gb ram, 120 gb hd.
When I plug my Sony Handycam, Hi8, into the usb ports on my iMac an error comes up saying that it has low power and to plug it in. Only when I plug it in to an electrical outlet like it said, nothing happens. The camcorder works fine on my PC using Wndows Movie Maker. I was just wondering if there is something I can do to get rid/fix this error message? Also when I try and import clips from my PC into iMovie it comes up error -37. The clips play fine in Quicktime so I don't know. And lastly does iMovie require a DV camcorder with firewire?

Thanks,
A.J.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looks like you found the fix for the camera, by plugging in to an external power source. As for iMovie, I believe it works with firewire only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
Were you plugging the camera into the USB input on the iMac or on the keyboard?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.