Mac with SSL problems

Reaction score
I've been reading Mac-Forum for years to solve my problems. Now I have one that baffled the Apple support staff...

I recently drove my Mac Pro from MD to CA (i.e. potential hardware problem). I've installed it with both wired and wireless connections to an AT&T DSL 2-Wire router/modem. The Mac Pro is working fine by all appearances and can browse the non-secure internet slowly. On non-secure pages, Safari (and Chrome and Firefox) take noticeably longer to load pages (like The New York Times or Google) and often display bizarre error messages. All secure connections appear to be broken: i.e. HTTPS, Dropbox, App Store, etc. I think anything that requires a SSL connection. Also "ping -c 10 www.google.com" is saying that some bits were corrupted, but that there was no packet loss. I'm not sure if this is a significant test of my connection. The Mac Pro is from 2008 and runs Lion 10.7. Everything is upgraded and I've not changed any settings between locations.

On the same network, using wireless only, are two MacBook Pros. Both work fine and have no problems connecting to any web sites including secure ones. They both run Snow Leopard. The Network Preferences show no differences between the Mac Pro and Macbooks.

The obvious test is to move my Mac Pro to a different network to see if I can reproduce the problem. AT&T obviously laid the blame on the Mac Pro, since both laptops are working. The Apple support guy was as baffled as I am. My suspicion is that it is a connection problem in the router/modem but I can't figure out what would cause this.

Does anyone have any ideas? I admit to not knowing enough about how SSL and TCP work to diagnose why the former works haltingly and the latter not at all. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.