With the summer coming....

Reaction score
Hey all -

Hope all is well with everyone. With the summer coming (or already here, 98 degrees today), I have noticed that temperatures, based on Istat readings, have my computer running a little higher then what I am used too. This is my first summer with my iMac or apple product, and I do not know what to expect. When I first got the computer( end of february) a normal cpu temperature was in the 20-23 range with no usage what so ever. Today, I just got home and after a brief stop at ESPN, and to this great site, the temperature is at 36 degrees. So I guess what I am asking, is this normal??Will I be ok?? Anything to be worried about? Is there anything I should be doing? Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Hwilensky

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nothing to worry about. If the computer ever gets too hot...it will shut off automatically on it's own.

Also...when mentioning temperatures...you should include the temperature units (°C or °F). We are a world-wide internet forum...so the temp. units can't be assumed.:)

I'm guessing you're talking °C...but it's always good to know for sure.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A quick tip: keep it somewhere on your desk where it can "breath." In other words, don't obstruct any airflow - you want the machine to be able to push hot air out.

As Nick noted, the machine will shut down if it gets too hot. There's not much you can do about that though if you don't have A/C (I know the feeling - it's 42° outside right now and I don't have A/C).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've got to assume you're not using your iMac in the 98 degree heat. Surely you're in an air conditioned room? I'd be more worried about you than the Mac if you were sitting in a room that was 98 degrees.....

It's very hot here in Texas also. Average Summer temps in July and August vary from 96 to 98 and higher. My iMac stays nice and cool, of course it's located in my home office that has central air. :)

OP
H
Reaction score
I've got to assume you're not using your iMac in the 98 degree heat. Surely you're in an air conditioned room? I'd be more worried about you than the Mac if you were sitting in a room that was 98 degrees.....

It's very hot here in Texas also. Average Summer temps in July and August vary from 96 to 98 and higher. My iMac stays nice and cool, of course it's located in my home office that has central air. :)

I would be concerned for him as well. Thanks for the quick answers. Like I mentioned before, first time mac owner. So I was not sure what to expect. I have a fan in my home office going most of the day(not rich enough to afford central air ;D) With electricity costing the amount it does, the AC, does not go on until I am uncomfortable, not the computer.

Hwilensky

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My iMac stays nice and cool, of course it's located in my home office that has central air. :)
I'm sure I could do some of my work long distance - feel like sharing that A/C? :p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm sure I could do some of my work long distance - feel like sharing that A/C? :p

Ha, Ha. Sure, if we could also share my electric bill. :) Actually, my electric cost is a bit lower than downtown Fort Worth as our electricity is supplied by a Co-Op. We live in north Fort Worth which is in a different electric supplier's area.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There's not much you can do about that though if you don't have A/C (I know the feeling - it's 42° outside right now and I don't have A/C).

Is it really 42°C outside? Is that in the direct sun?

42°C is 107.6°F...that's pretty darn hot!!! Ottawa certainly doesn't seem to be the place to move for a "cool" Summer!:(

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha, Ha. Sure, if we could also share my electric bill. :) Actually, my electric cost is a bit lower than downtown Fort Worth as our electricity is supplied by a Co-Op. We live in north Fort Worth which is in a different electric supplier's area.
Deal! Off to get a plane ticket. ;)

42°C is 107.6°F...that's pretty darn hot!!! Ottawa certainly doesn't seem to be the place to move for a "cool" Summer!:(

- Nick
Indeed it is that warm. It's much better now though - it's plummeted to a frosty 40°. ;)

Yeah, it's a bit of a freak heatwave. It was high 20s last week, only to spike in the 40s now which will end when the temperature drops back down to the mid 20s by Friday. I don't understand the weather sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

- Nick

Here, I call that "June". In the shade.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here, I call that "June". In the shade.
Note to self - don't move to Arizona. Let's just say that my Canadianness includes my preference for particular temperatures. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Note to self - don't move to Arizona. Let's just say that my Canadianness includes my preference for particular temperatures. ;)

Well A/C is also standard in the southern half of the United States in all buildings be them new or old. We don't deal too well without it lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air
You mean it's not normal to run the ac 9-10 months of the year?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
With electricity costing the amount it does, the AC, does not go on until I am uncomfortable, not the computer.

With Macs costing as much as they do, you might want to rethink that. The maximum operating room air temperature for a Mac is usually 95 F. If you go above that, it will probably just shut down, but if something did happen, you would not be covered by warranty.

If you can't cool the room, you might want to shut it down and leave your computer use for the cooler hours of the day.

C

chas_m

Victoria BC is not having Ottawa (or indeed any of the east's) problems. First day of summer and it has yet to crack 65F this year. :)

To Hwilensky: nothing to worry about. The temp you reported is perfectly normal. Believe it or not, Apple thoughtfully considered the range of environmental conditions and designed to accommodate that. Indeed, the Mac's cooling system is the most efficient and quiet in the entire industry.

Obviously, don't block the intake vents (they are located under the monitor) or the outflow vent (that slit on the back of the machine that gets -- and is SUPPOSED to get -- quite warm). Your iMac uses an insanely clever concept called "convection" cooling to help keep the fan noise to a minimum. Everything is working as it should.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.