HELP: Could someone tell me...

Reaction score
... How to reset a admin username and password?

Long story short my friend gave me his old Mac Book Pro because he owed me some money + he never used it. Ive had it setting around for awhile now, because of moving. Well apparently his aunt was using the Mac before he went and got it. Now she doesnt remember the password she used. I need the password to enable wi-fi to even access the internet. I was going to do a re-install, but I dont know how to do it with a Mac. Theres no disc drive and Im not sure I understand how the "remote" installation works.

What should I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Every MacBook Pro has an optical disk drive. Only the MacBook Air and the new Retina MacBook Pro do not have an optical drive. How about telling us which Mac you have, year and model? Also which version of OS X it's running?

OP
R
Reaction score
Sorry, your right it is a Air. Well I may have to get back to this thread this weekend. Im at work right now and I havent even messed with it enough to know year/model/OS. I know its an older one. At least 2007-2008. Im mainly wondering whats needed to do a remote install. I just wanna wipe it clean and start brand new. Im very family with PC's and re-formatting them etc , but never messed with a mac much. Like I said I have both installation disc's.

Can I do the remote install with my Toshiba laptop with Windows 7?
What connects the laptop to the mac? Ethernet cord?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.