Mac Gaming and Splitting the hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro OSx 10.9, 2.3Ghz Intel i7 Quad Core, 8GB RAM(4x4), 750GB Hard drive
Okay, So I used to own a PC but got sick and tired of it always breaking so I just switched to Mac. I always used to play Fallout on my old computer which is a PC only game. So I was wondering, if I split the Hard drive on my MacBook Pro, (using Bootcamp) would I be able to Install fallout and Play it on my Mac if I boot to the PC desktop? Thanks everyone.

If it Matters I'm Running Mac OSx Lion 10.7.4 with:
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
8GB of Ram
750GB Hard drive.
Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB

The game recomends:
Windows System (XP or Vista)
Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2 GB of RAM
About 8GB of Hard drive space
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI 3800 series)

I have a Copy of Windows 7 64x Home Edition to install.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Yes if you use Bootcamp and split your harddrive to make space for Windows and boot into it, you can play Fallout without any problems..

Be sure to backup your data BEFORE you attempt to go through bootcamp because if you mess up anything, you might end up with no Windows and no OS X..

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro OSx 10.9, 2.3Ghz Intel i7 Quad Core, 8GB RAM(4x4), 750GB Hard drive
Major Thanks, And I just have a couple other questions...

1.How do You suggest I back everything up without Time Machine (I think it's called) Or Can't you? I can save for an External if I must.

2.And When you split the hard drive with Bootcamp and it asks you on how much space you want to set aside, If I put lets say 20GBs aside fr Windows and decide I need more/Less later, can I go back and change it, or when I set space aside what's done is done.

3. If i decide I don't want my hard Drive split anymore can I remove Windows from my system? and get my Hard drive space back?

Thanks Again!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Time machine is the easiest way of backing up your data on an ongoing basis, you can also use SuperDuper or Carbon Cloner to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external HD.

Once you set aside a particular amount of space for Windows, you are stuck with that, but there are ways of resizing this to be larger jumping through a few hoops. You're better of thinking about how much space you realistically want to give to Windows and your games/applications and ensure that you are prepared for that. So if you want to play games on Windows, then consider something like 150-200GB to account for future growth. That leaves you with 500GB in OS X.

I believe you use the bootcamp assistant to get rid of Windows and reclaim the space. (Other members who know more about this should chime in)..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro: 2.3Ghz i5 Processer, 8GB RAM, OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD
1. When I installed Windows on my Mac. I first restored my Mac, I didn't do this because I was having problems I just felt like there was a lot of clutter with files and everything and just wanted to start fresh. You do not have to restore you Mac to install Windows. So what I did was I went through my applications folder and labeled anything I wanted to keep. I then went into the Application Support folder and found any folders that those applications used. Then I went to documents and saved what documents I wanted to save. And then I was pretty much set. I knew I would forget something. So far I haven't figured out what it is I forgot though. To sum up, I just pretty much manually searched through the hard drive for anything I wanted to keep and labeled it.

2. You can not change the amount you put into the Windows partition after you create it. I would suggest putting at least 100GB, but since you have a 750GB hard drive go for 200GB or 300GB, that way you have plenty of room for you games and everything. I personally put aside 120GB for my Windows partition, but I only have a 320GB hard drive. So I would suggest putting a good amount into the Windows partition because you can not change it after you create the partition. It's better for you have the space and not need it, than to need the space and not have it.

3. Yes. You can remove the Windows partition. I know you can go through Boot Camp and remove the partition. That's the only way I know how to.

I would suggest putting a lot of space into the Windows partition. 20GB is definitely not enough for the OS and an installed game. Like I said I put 120GB and have plenty of room in both OS X and Windows.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Again! and Really I don't do much Gaming... Just Fallout. So Really I just want to be able to Play

Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Fallout 4: San Francisco Which is coming in fall
They're all about 8GB each (as for 4 I have No idea)
So I'll probably set about 50GB aside, just incase I wan't to add some there things...

Maybe a spot for Ableton as well if I can't get a working Version for Mac. But Thanks again!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay maybe 'll set aside 120... Just saw that. Thanks, haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro: 2.3Ghz i5 Processer, 8GB RAM, OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD
Okay maybe 'll set aside 120... Just saw that. Thanks, haha.

Good choice. You definitely need more than 50GB since the OS takes about 20GB or so. And to install a few games that will easily fill up. Good luck with everything!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.