bootcamp externalharddrive question.

Reaction score
i want to play more games but boot camp restricts me to only 30gigs if i get a external hard drive plug it in on windows can i install games on to it and play them that way? i don't see why i couldn't.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not sure about the external drive question but I have a question. Are you running short of drive space? If not I can't think of a reason for that 30 GB limit. My current Boot Camp partition is a bit more than 80 GB though I don't use nearly all of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can use an external to install games/application to yes.

But as Slydude says there's no 30gb limit for bootcamp. I'm currently running on a 200gb partition.

30gb is the default 'suggested' size but this can be changed so long as you have space

OP
C
Reaction score
it only lets ,e use like 35gigs no matter how much space is left on my harddrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Does it give an error message?

Or can you post a screen shot?

OP
C
Reaction score
cant really give one unless i repartition but i only have a 175gig harddrive may that be why?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.