Ok so I have a macbookpro 15 coming. I have a ?

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 15" MBP Mavericks
DO I already need to update the OS from 10.7 to 10.8 as soon as it gets here? This is my first mac and have no experience with any apple gear, except playing with ipad twice.

So if anybody can explain how this stuff usually works and what people do I would really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Mountain Lion (10.8) will not be available until July. So, depending on how quickly your MBP arrives, you might not even have the option to update yet.
Since you are new to OSX, I would recommend updating to 10.8 as soon as you can because you're going to be learning a new OS anyways and why wait until you get used to 10.7 and then have to adjust to new features in 10.8?
If you're gonna get wet, go swimming. ;)

As far as how "this stuff usually works" ??? I'd recommend reading over the sticky threads at the top of this forum (Switcher Forum). Then post any specific questions you have once you start using your machine or you know what you want to do with it. We'll be happy to help. :)

OP
P

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, will do. Yes, I want to jump right in the deep end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
Your gonna love OS X. Enjoy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Anyone buying a Mac since the WWDC Keynote will be able to update to Mountain Lion for free. That's what I thought the nice man said anyway.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think when you update is up to you. Although I don't anticipate a large number of bugs in 10.8 lots of users don't like troubleshooting these kinds of issues. If you are one of these people wait a while to update. Even though there will be differences when you update to the new OS I don't think the learning curve will be that steep and most of the things you've learned will readily transfer t the new OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
I've got my dock nice and neat with everything in their folders. Once I update will I have to put everything back the way I like it or will it remain?

OP
P

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good question berk, I did call apple today and confirm that I will get the free upgrade to 10.8 since I bought it after the WWDC.

C

chas_m

I've got my dock nice and neat with everything in their folders. Once I update will I have to put everything back the way I like it or will it remain?

Everything stays the way you put it unless you broke some of the cardinal rules (like putting Applications outside the Applications folder, that's a no-no).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.