App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The Mac App Store is telling me there is an update for "CodeBox", an App I havent bought or put on my IMac. Ive tried updating it to get rid of the notification, but when I do it brings up someone else's Apple ID. No one else has been on my computer or has logged in with another Apple ID. I dont have or use CodeBox and cant figure out why it is telling me to update it or how to get rid of it. Also, this is all going on while I am logged into the App Store under my Apple ID.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Do you recognize the other Apple ID that comes up? Unless someone has at some point logged in using their Apple ID, I'd be hard pressed to think of another reason you'd be getting a random person's Apple ID shown to you..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is this a used Mac? Perhaps that ID belonged to a previous owner though I don't know why you would see another account while logged in under your account.

OP
S
Reaction score
Nope, no one else has been on my account on my compy. My nephew has a profile that he uses, but has no Apple ID nor password/access to my account. A friend at work suggested moving the .plist file to the desktop, restarting the comp (which forces OSX to make a new plist file). It should then replace the contents with an updated version of my apps.

@Slydude: Nope, got it brand spanking new outta the box, thats why Im so confused about this random Apple ID etc. Any chance of a hacker/spammer? As far as I know, Ive never heard of this kind of thing happening.

@RazorEdge: I dont recognize it at all. Its, [email protected], which means absolutely nothing to me.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did someone where you purchased the computer set up your account for you? I wonder if someone there used a personal account to test things but then forgot to completely remove the information from the system.

OP
S
Reaction score
@Slydude: Not unless they did it at the Apple distribution warehouse, ordered it straight off the website. Like I said, brand spanking new out of a sealed box, and this was 2 years ago, before the App store was created.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Try this

Launch Terminal then Copy this code and paste it into Terminal and hit enter.

Code:
killall storeagent

Make sure the MAS isn't open. After you have done this in Terminal, launch the MAS and try putting in your ID...
Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
@TattooedMac: With App Store quitted out, I tried the terminal command and only got, "No matching processes belonging to you were found". And the CodeBox update still persists. Im going to try the plist thing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Slydude: Not unless they did it at the Apple distribution warehouse, ordered it straight off the website. Like I said, brand spanking new out of a sealed box, and this was 2 years ago, before the App store was created.

Well that pretty much kills my idea. I thought perhaps the local store had done the setup and perhaps someone there had entered the other account information as a test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro: 2.3Ghz i5 Processer, 8GB RAM, OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD
I had this problem I while back before I restored my Mac. I never did fix, I just ignored it. But it is the same exact thing as what you are describing. It wanted me to update Twitter. But I had never installed Twitter. No one had been on my mac and the Apple ID was some random address. I just ended up ignoring it because I couldn't find a way to get rid of it. Oh and it just came up randomly. It was about 6 or 8 months after I had gotten it.

C

chas_m

You may want to check your purchase history at the Mac App Store. It could be that your iTunes account has been compromised.

OP
S
Reaction score
@chas_m: Only app Ive bought, and the only one it shows in the purchased history is FaceTime. No history, or bank activity showing a purchase of CodeBox. Guess Ill just ignore it. So annoying having that d@mn 1 sitting there.

Reaction score
"codebox"

I was having the same problem and no matter what I tried couldn't get rid of the update notification. Then I noticed a BitTorent app. Once I was able to delete that, the update for code box disappeared!!

OP
S
Reaction score
I was having the same problem and no matter what I tried couldn't get rid of the update notification. Then I noticed a BitTorent app. Once I was able to delete that, the update for code box disappeared!!

I dont have a BitTorrent App, like I said, the only App Ive downloaded from the App Store is FaceTime.

Reaction score
Same here

Nope, no one else has been on my account on my compy. My nephew has a profile that he uses, but has no Apple ID nor password/access to my account. A friend at work suggested moving the .plist file to the desktop, restarting the comp (which forces OSX to make a new plist file). It should then replace the contents with an updated version of my apps.

@Slydude: Nope, got it brand spanking new outta the box, thats why Im so confused about this random Apple ID etc. Any chance of a hacker/spammer? As far as I know, Ive never heard of this kind of thing happening.

@RazorEdge: I dont recognize it at all. Its, [email protected], which means absolutely nothing to me.

This will comfort you not at all but I also have precisely the problem you describe ... including exactly the same heinisf@... AppleID. This sure ain't a coincidence surely?

Dom

C

chas_m

The fact that you both have the same mystery account bears all the hallmarks of some pirated/cracked software downloaded at some point. Not accusing anybody here of anything yet, I'm just saying that you may want to check and make sure no pirated software has been installed on your machine.

Reaction score
The Mac App Store is telling me there is an update for "CodeBox", an App I havent bought or put on my IMac. Ive tried updating it to get rid of the notification, but when I do it brings up someone else's Apple ID. No one else has been on my computer or has logged in with another Apple ID. I dont have or use CodeBox and cant figure out why it is telling me to update it or how to get rid of it. Also, this is all going on while I am logged into the App Store under my Apple ID.

I have the same problem ,and its come from the xcode retail installation , but i dont know how to fix it. when i delete the developer folder from the hard disk and the update disappears.
sorry for my english.

Reaction score
I had the same problem and it turned out that '[email protected]' had switched the MASreceipt in a cracked version of 'Galaxy on Fire 2' with his one from codebox to stop the cracked app trying to update. Unfortunately this makes app store think you have an old version of codebox, but just under '[email protected]''s account (so you cant log in).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
I think the idea here is to NOT use cracked or torrented versions of commercial apps in the first place, then you should have no problems ...

Cheers :)

Hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.