Newbie mac owner

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 15" MBP Mavericks
Just bought a new macbookpro. Coming from windows I have no kowledge of mac's. Any useful hints or sites would be appreciated. Looking forward to being apart of this community.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
You can start at this thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/208133-sage-advice-new-mac-switcher.html

I'd say one of the biggest things is don't bother installing antivirus software. As of right now, there's not a single virus out there for OSX (despite what antivirus companies claim) and antivirus software will really decrease the performance of your Mac. Malware exists for Macs but it's rare and usually requires you making really stupid decisions. I know it's hard coming from a windows environment but just have faith. When (and if) a virus is ever released on Macs, you will probably hear about it here well before it ever reaches your machine.

Also run software update (under the apple menu) on a regular basis.

OP
P

pcc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 15" MBP Mavericks
Thanks,

I know there are probably hundreds of these threads daily but I truly despise windows and want to become a proficient mac user. Thats one of the reasons we switched to apple is the virus crap that you have to do for a windows pc. I will receive my mac on Wednesday and cant wait to get it going. We will mainly use it for video editing and pic editing as well as the usual surfing and email. I know we wont use the pro to its full potential but couldn't stomach paying 600-700$ for a pc again and the prices for 2011 models were just to good to pass up.

Looking forward to all the help this forum will provide!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.