Removing Applications

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Downloaded Open office and Libre Office. Have both on desktop and both on icons. Tried to trash desktop Open Office and/or Icon Open Office with no luck. Says I cannot trash as application is in use. Suggestions? Running OSX 10.7.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uninstalling Applications

Please excuse my ignorance, but I had to look up command Q. So I need to quit the application. Unfortunately when I open Open Office I don't see where I can go to exit except by pressing the top left red button to exit the application. I don't know how to quit the application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
With the application open, you hit the button Commmand(to the left of your shift bar) and the letter Q at the same time. You can also right click on the icon in your task bar and scroll down to the Quit command at the bottom

M

MacInWin

The red X doesn't close anything, it just pushes the application into the background. To completely close an application, click on the name of the application in the top bar of the desktop, then Quit, or Cmd-Q. This is the normal behavior on (almost) ALL applications, btw.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Closing Applications

Thanks. Never used the Command function before. But right clicking the icon and scrolling down worked. I'll print out the info so i remember it if I forget what i've learned today. Thanks again to both replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks. Never used the Command function before. But right clicking the icon and scrolling down worked. I'll print out the info so i remember it if I forget what i've learned today. Thanks again to both replies.

The first thing i did when i got my new MBP was to play around for a week. I learnt a lot and even screwed up the OS but it was a learning curve.
Have a look at this page Mac OS X Lion For Dummies Cheat Sheet - For Dummies scroll to the bottom and have a look through the most used Keyboard Shortcuts and print the page out if you can...

I was lucky as i was only playing and once i knew enough i reinstalled the OS and away i went.
Don't get too flustered on not knowing the Mac OS just yet as it will come in time and you will then have your own way of navigating around it, but it was made with KBShortcuts in mind and once you know them and the meaning of t=what they do you will be a pro in know time at all.

Good luck enjoy and be sure to return if you need more assistance (Start a new thread for other problems)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Hey, you would've had lots of fun on a Mac before a right click was possible. ;)
Apple makes one-button mice. (mouses?)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Command Prompt (s)

Thanks to the Aussie for the info on Command Prompts. Went to the sites and printed out pages. Noticed my Windows keyboard does not have the Command button. But then my iMac keyboard does not have a Backspace button either. Thanks to all.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just happened upon the fact that I can scroll pages by running my finger across my mouse. Cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your welcome mate..... Keep playing you be a legend soon :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.