Changing NAME of my home wireless network?

Reaction score
Can someone explain step by step how to do this? All find all kinds of wild stuff out on the net & nothing's yet helped.......and I'm afraid of making things worse if I do it wrong!

My Hub named My new network MY name. I don't think this smart. Would really rather name it something obscure --- b/c I know my neighbors see it. Of course, it is locked....but still.

While at it --- have good name suggestions? I'd something funny - or maybe a stab at one particular neighbor who IS nosy!

:Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order to change the name of your network, you have to be able to access the internal menu of your router. If your router came with a manual (written or PDF) look for the directions that tell how to access the menu and make changes.

The particular item to change is called the SSID (Service Set Identifier). You can name it anything you wish. Of course you want to make sure that you use strong encryption for security purposes. We recommend using WPA2 if your router allows it. If it's a modern router, it should.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.