• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

VHS tape to my Powerbook

J

Jonster

I have a couple VHS tapes that I want to put on my Powerbook, but quite frankly, I have no clue how to do it. What do I need (other than a VCR obviously) and also, what's the best program to rip it onto my Powerbook. I'm a total noob when it comes to this, obviously, so all the info you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
You just need an "Analog to Digital" Converter.

I can't recommend one over the other, but here's a good place to start looking.

:mac:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Do you have a DVmini camcorder? Some of them can be used as bridge between the VCR and the computer. If you are able to do that, then the software you would need is iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I've mentioned this before, but a really inexpensive solution would be to buy a cheap DVD Recorder (for example, this one for $100 from Wal-Mart), write the tape to DVD, and then rip it to your PowerBook.

Then you'll have it in digital format as well as on DVD.

OP
J

Jonster

Thanks for the info guys. I was hoping that it wouldn't be too expensive, but looks like it will be. Oh well. I think I'm going to scrounge around to relatives, friends, family friends, people on the street, etc to ask if I can use their analog to video converters. I know a friend who, I think, has a DVmini camcorder, so I'll ask him if I can borrow that. Do you know how to bridge it?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have done with my Canon Optura 20. There is a setting, that you set in order to get your camera to used as a pass through bridge. I just forget what it is right now.

Reaction score
You will need a 1/8" to RCA cable. The RCA end is has the yellow plug for video and the red and white cables for audio. The other end (the 1/8") will plug into the camcorder. Then, you need to set the camera up as a bridge, which will depend on what model camera you are using. Check out the manual (It should be online as well) for that information. Once you record it onto a MiniDV tape using the camera, you just import it via Firewire into iMovie. You may even be able to import it directly to iMovie from the VCR using Camera mode in iMovie, but I have never attempted this.

I have been successful in using an Analog source and importing it via a MiniDV camcorder and tape, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
caribiner23 said:
I've mentioned this before, but a really inexpensive solution would be to buy a cheap DVD Recorder (for example, this one for $100 from Wal-Mart), write the tape to DVD, and then rip it to your PowerBook.

Then you'll have it in digital format as well as on DVD.

That DVD recorder looks like it has a DV Firewire port, is it possible to capture into final cut right from the dvd?

OP
A

Applesaucevideo

Jonster said:
I have a couple VHS tapes that I want to put on my Powerbook, but quite frankly, I have no clue how to do it. What do I need (other than a VCR obviously) and also, what's the best program to rip it onto my Powerbook. I'm a total noob when it comes to this, obviously, so all the info you can give me is greatly appreciated.

If the passthrough technique doesnt work how bout' just recording from your VCR to an D-8mm or Mini DV camcorder. Then shoot the footage from your camcorder to the powerbook via firewire to your editing software of choice?
Hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
PowerBookG4 said:
That DVD recorder looks like it has a DV Firewire port, is it possible to capture into final cut right from the dvd?

I never tried it, but the manual leads me to believe it's an input-only port.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.