How do I select a series of files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
(1 week into the switch) How do I select a series of files. With my old PC, I simply selected the first file in the series, held down the shift key, and selected the last file. I'm a photographer and HAVE to find a way to select random groups of files!!!
Appreciate any help !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
You can also hold down shift and select the last file in OSX too. Just make sure you're showing your files in list or column view otherwise it will select the files one at a time. You can also click and drag a box around multiple files to select them.

At the top of any open window, you should see four little boxes to the left of the box with the gear in it. The 2nd and 3rd box displays your files as a list or as a column respectively.

C

chas_m

To select file contiguously: select the first one, hold the shift key down, select the last one.

To select files non-contiguously: select the first one hold down command, select the others. Once they are all selected, you can "grab" any one of them with the mouse and drag to where you want to put them.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Thanks Adric! The list or column option worked!

I'm overwhelmed trying to learn everything I need to do with my photography business as quickly as possible. I know in the end I'll love having switched to a Mac, but right now I'm missing the simplicity of knowing how to do everything without even thinking like I did with my PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
It'll happen with the Mac too. Just give it a little time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
I have recently switched to a mac, and like you found it a bit difficult at first. I found that Tutor for Lion from the app store was very helpful. It covers most of what you need to know as a switcher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
And if you're not sure that a file is the one you want, you don't have to open it to find out. Simply highlight it and press the space bar. The file will instantly appear before your eyes. Click the X box to close this "Quick Look" window.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.