Epson printer won't join my network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Hi

I'm trying to set up a new Epson printer SX 445 to my router/network but each time I run the set up wizard it fails to complete saying Security Key/Password Check fail.

*entered security key/password does not match the one set for for router.

I know that the password is correct and have rechecked this by changing it a few times
and I still get the same result.

My network internet service provider is not interested and says to call Epson.

Anybody have any clues how I can resolve this?

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which security password are you using? You should be entering the same password that you use to access your wireless network. And, if you're by chance using WEP as the method of encryption, change that to WPA2, create a new pass phrase and try again. Some wireless devices will not respond to a hex password that is common with WEP.

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Which security password are you using? You should be entering the same password that you use to access your wireless network. And, if you're by chance using WEP as the method of encryption, change that to WPA2, create a new pass phrase and try again. Some wireless devices will not respond to a hex password that is common with WEP.

Hi

thanks for the reply

I'm certain the password is the same one as i use to access the network, and I've tried changing the router to WPA2 (PSK AES) from WPA auto.

Still won't connect

The macbook is working the router is working and the printer can print but simply can't get onto the network?

Regards

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
When you say that the printer can print do you mean that it prints a test page from the printer or print when connected directly to the Mac? If you have not already done so try installing the printer drivers with the printer directly connected to the Mac and do a test print. Once that works repeat the wireless setup and see what happens.

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
When you say that the printer can print do you mean that it prints a test page from the printer or print when connected directly to the Mac? If you have not already done so try installing the printer drivers with the printer directly connected to the Mac and do a test print. Once that works repeat the wireless setup and see what happens.

ok i'll try that and post back

regards

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
ok i'll try that and post back

regards

Prints fine on a test page when plugged into the Mac, - but same result when i tried wireless.

For some reason the printer is seeing ten characters like this ********** as this is what's on the LCD

But my password for the router is only eight characters?

regards

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Please don't be offended by this question I ask because I have seen this mistake before (by me I think), When you enter the password you are entering the password to the wireless network right? Not the password to change settings on the router.

Something else to try if you have not already. If your network name is hidden try letting the router broadcast it. I think my Canon has a problem sometimes where it does not play nice with hidden names during configuration.

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Please don't be offended by this question I ask because I have seen this mistake before (by me I think), When you enter the password you are entering the password to the wireless network right? Not the password to change settings on the router.

Something else to try if you have not already. If your network name is hidden try letting the router broadcast it. I think my Canon has a problem sometimes where it does not play nice with hidden names during configuration.

Hi

Thank you for the reply and not offended at all.

Sadly I'm increasingly confident that I'm entering the correct password.

The Epson LCD panel shows ten * symbols on the display, at the confirmation point, even though I've entered only the correct eight from my Network password.

I'm confused ,frustrated, and not looking forward to phoning Epson in search of a solution, which must be simple, even though I've tried Apple and my service provider with no success?

Regards

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
continued

Hi

Updated

Managed to resolve the password problem and wireless set up is completed:D :Lips-Are-Sealed:

The 'printer is not connected message now appears' when I try to print?

Anybody further help appreciated.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi

Updated

Managed to resolve the password problem and wireless set up is completed:D :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Regards

Hi,
What do things look like in your Print & Scan preferences? Is it your default printer ?
Does the printer show in the left hand pane ? If it doesn't click the '+', and if it does try deleting it and then adding it back in.

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Continued

Hi

Brilliant and fast.

All it needed was deleted and added.

Thank you

Kind regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hey,
Good stuff.
Cheers,
Liam

Reaction score
Password problem

Hi

Updated

Regards

I know this is an old post, but I'm having this very same issue; wish you would have mentioned how you resolved the password problem! I had really hoped to find a quick resolution. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The solution was to go into System preferences > Printers and Scanners, highlight the printer and hit the little(-) button, reboot and go in again and hit the (+) button to add it. Make sure the printer works via USB before trying wifi.

Reaction score
Thank you, Harry. Maybe he hadn't posted his solution because it was also same as mine. I hate to admit this, but I didn't realize the password was case sensitive. I know, I know. No one should have to tell me, heh heh. It's a wonder I could even get back into this forum!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You are okay cuka and wecome back! Remember there are no stoopid questions .. just stoopid answers on occasions!

Keep coming back lots to learn and share here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.